Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a spouse story....but family instead

tag
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Not a spouse story....but family instead

Against my family's better judgement (and mine included) I decided to provide my older sister with a cellphone since her credit is/was crap. The agreement was that the bill would be set up on auto payment from her debit card.

Well, we all know how well "helping others out" end up Smiley Sad. After three consecutive months of her cancelling auto payment, sending in partial payment, etc I decided to pull the plug. I called Verizon and was told there was a $90 balance plus an early termination fee of $110. I agreed to it and was told they would send me a bill.

I waited for the bill and when it arrived, it was actually $350. Apparently the payments she made bounced ! I sucked it up and paid and notified her in which case her response was "I'm not paying for a phone you turned off".

Long story short, she just signed yesterday for the 10 day demand letter before I file small claims case.

My sister (or anyone for that matter) is not worth risking my credit worthiness over. It's sad to think we will probably never speak after this but I'm at a loss of options Smiley Sad

Thanks for letting me vent.
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Not a spouse story....but family instead

Smiley Sad

I want to say that I hope it all smooths over (and I do hope this for your sake), but it sounds like your sister has a lot of growing up to do first.

I'm glad that your credit got off OK, anyway. And thumbs up for you for trying to help, even against your better judgment.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 37
casmith1980
Established Contributor

My sister definitely has some growing up to do, it's sad that she's 6 years OLDER than me too.

I'm relieved my credit didn't take a hit, but that is because I acted as fast as possible. I'm concerned with telling my husband about the latest incident because he already hates my sister (forgot to mention she repossessed a vehicle in my name 10 years ago). I paid off the difference so I didn't get sued yet still found it in my heart to help her again.

Ugh, I'm a sucker!!!
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 3 of 37
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'd get her a Tracfone for XMas! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 37
casmith1980
Established Contributor

LOL

I actually feel kind of "dirty" with the recent registered mail I sent her.

I tried sending it at the beginning of October, but she knew what it was going to be so she never answered the door to sign for it, and conveniently never went by the post office to pick it up.

Well, my nephew's birthday was the 9th so I sent her a message via facebook that said "I'm sending my nephew a gift card for his birthday.  It will arrive registered mail since I don't trust the postal service.  If you want him to get his birthday present from his aunt, I suggest you sign for the card"

Well...that indeed prompted her to go pick up the letter from the post office.  Sure it cost me a $20 gift card to Walmart that she will probably spend instead of my 7 year old nephew, but oh well.  It was far worth is knowing I can now file suit Smiley Happy

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 5 of 37
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Won't DH find out about the small claims court thing and do the "I told you so!" dance?

Message 6 of 37
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Ya...I think that's why I don't want to tell him.  I despise the "I told you so" line...and he's infamous for it.

I was thinking I'll just file suit, win my case, and then tell my husband "I sued my sister and won!  Case dismissed"  HAHAHAHAH

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 7 of 37
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'd just let it go and finally learn the lesson.

Otherwise, there's gonna be dancing and you'll have to admit he was right.

FWIW, he probably just doesn't want to see you taken advantage of. That being said, if your finances are separate the misstep is really not his concern.

Message 8 of 37
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I definitely learned my lesson (FINALLY).

Our income is combined for the most part, but I had received a settlement from a car accident which provided me the extra resources to pay off the Verizon account.  Had I used our combined income to do so, I would have definitely mentioned it to him then and there.

Oh well...maybe my sister will "grow up" and take some responsibility one of these days.  Until then, it won't be my credit she ruins Smiley Wink

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 9 of 37
GregB
Valued Contributor

Yes, it will......after she gets to the point of filing for new credit in your name with her mailing address.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.