cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to get engaged...had the credit talk...

tag
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Planning to get engaged...had the credit talk...

I've worked really hard over the last couple years to get to a place where I'm solid financially, and I've paid off about $30k in debt, bought a home, and increased my credit scores from mid 500s to high 700s. I've been dating my girlfriend for over 2.5 years, and when we first started dating I casually talked about my goals and the work I'd done to get finanically secure. I hadn't bought my place yet (new build high rise condo) and was waiting forever, so I would drop hints here and there to my girlfriend about what I thought was smart to get secure financially. I made it obvious how much good credit and smart spending was important to me without being preachy or condescending to her, and I hoped she was also on the right track.

I could tell she was pretty frugal and definitely did not live beyond her means, but we never talked about actual credit score. We're close to getting engaged, so we've been having the chat about buying a bigger place together and turning mine into a rental which obviously opened the door to the credit talk. I was quite concerned because I knew she had a decent bit of student loan debt from when she recently finished her masters, but otherwise I didn't know what her situation was like. Well, I have to say I was practically embarrassed when she pulled up all three scores and it read: 828, 835, 810. I was like OMG how dare you have a score as low as 810?! Smiley Very Happy

She then asked me about mine, and I ask like um, well, you see anything above an 800 is pretty rare and uncommon, so don't think that mine are that low compared to average yours are just really, really high! My scores are in the 740-760 range right now (have a little bit of a high balance on a balance transfer that has 4 months left at 0% which I'll pay off in full at that time) which I was quite proud of before I saw hers! She actually told me that about 5 years ago before she met me she had rung up over $25k in credit card debt for stupid and unimportant purchases, so she moved in home for 2 years to pay it all off (which was tough as she was a food server) to get in a better place financially. It obviously worked very well, and I was super proud of her accomplishments. Even though it took us both time, we were able to each increase our scores well over 200 points in a couple years of budgeting, cutting back on spending and paying down debt!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Planning to get engaged...had the credit talk...

LOL better than if she had 545, 560, and 579. Me thinks you found a keeper. Congrats and good luck.

Message 2 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL better than if she had 545, 560, and 579. Me thinks you found a keeper. Congrats and good luck.

Heck if I found someone who was that mindful of money even if they had a 300 I'd overlook that (not certain you can get to 300 actually).

Credit can be fixed, chronic spending problems is a path to ruin.

+1 on the keeper bit if everything else is copasetic; not running into many ladies with similar mindsets recently, unfortunately.

        
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations to both you and your GF for all your hard work. It seems to have paid off tremendously.

Message 4 of 16
Duke84
Regular Contributor

It's definitely nice having someone who has their finances straight. It will make things easier for you in the long run.
Starting Score: EQ: 537, TU: 488, EX: 558 (8/2014)
Current F8 Score: EQ: 733, TU: 734, EX: 709 (4/2023)

Current Cards:

Store Cards:
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Heck if I found someone who was that mindful of money even if they had a 300 I'd overlook that (not certain you can get to 300 actually).

+1 on the keeper bit if everything else is copasetic; not running into many ladies with similar mindsets recently, unfortunately.

Flashing those fancy cards and driving a BMW is like buying a billboard "looking for a gold digger" ... Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Flashing those fancy cards and driving a BMW is like buying a billboard "looking for a gold digger" ... Smiley Wink

If I had either those fancy cards or a BMW I might agree with that Smiley Happy.  

Speaking of which I should go get my cracked side mirror fixed anyway, still servicable but not purty.

        
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

#KeepHerDude!

Message 8 of 16
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the kind words all! I do feel fortunate we share similar goals and experiences. We've both waited till our mid 30s to even entertain the idea of marriage as we've both grown up in households that ended in mulitple divorces. I think maturing, finishing school, traveling/playing around, getting careers established, putting finances in order then finding a partner is a great way to go. I realize it's not for everyone, but I'm happy that's the way we're doing it.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats awesome .. im sure it took you by surprise!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.