Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royally screwed... In laws..

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Royally screwed... In laws..

Sorry to hear that it was a difficult conversation but this may be the best outcome for now.  

Maybe they'll take some time and rethink it but I wouldn't feel bad about walking away from it with a clear conscience.  You tried to offer a reasonable solution / ideas and they're not having it.   It's hard to have a parent lay out both the guilt trip and pity play in the same conversation.  Smiley Frustrated

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 21 of 38
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

No good deed...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 22 of 38
loyalsudz
Regular Contributor

That was pretty horrible!

Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

May have been hinted at? Could see this tearing apart your own family (husband vs wife). After reading the entire thread it appears you both have weighed the facts and stayed a course(s) of action. Wish you the best as this is certainly not easy!
Message 24 of 38
tcbofade
Super Contributor

VERY glad to see that you and DW were on the same page... and that she used the emergency signal before YOU did....  lol.

Never underestimate the value of a good spouse!  Smiley Wink

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 25 of 38
loyalsudz
Regular Contributor

Yeah, never stray away from her for any reason, your wife is definitely a keeper!  

There are many forms of infidelity.  Glad to see that you worked it out together

without it having to escalate beyond any further drama and pain.  No one wants to 

volunteer for that, I know for a fact that I would not unless I were beaten and driven 

crazy and even then, I would not consider it.

Message 26 of 38
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Sadly people reveal the type of people they are in situations like this. And while you can't change your family, you definitely can limit how much they can affect your life negatively. You have to take care of yourself and your wife first. I'm glad both you and your wife are on the same page. These situations can get messy very quick. 

Message 27 of 38
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

While reading the beginning of this thread, I was thinking the in-laws were well into their late 70s, maybe early 80s, and felt sorry for them. Then it turns out they're barely in their mid-60s?!! My pity went out the window.

Unless they have health issues that make it impossible, they could BOTH easily get a job doing something, anything that generates a steady paycheck, and use that money to dig themselves out of the hole they've gotten themselves into. These days, it's very common for people to work into their 70s, 80s, and beyond--not because they NEED to, but because they WANT to. And here's a couple who, by choice, doesn't work and now they expect their kids to help pay their mortgage? What am I missing?!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 28 of 38
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

MIL, has been a homemaker since she was 23 so she "can't"... and FIL was let go by the company he worked for and retired... he does Uber now but it hardly pays enough for their bills.. they have equity and a small savings (50k?).

funny they haven't called us or anything since we last spoke.. DW is going to reach out and attempt to convince them to move to a condo or something.. 

can we help? Yes.. but at the same time I don't want this burden of helping for 20 years... also they threw it in my face that we are financially well off and that he helped get my DW student loans when we paid them all!! 

i feel as they did this intentionally thinking we would help bail them out.. 

I work 10 hours daily and DW works her office hours and is on call with the hospital 2-3 days a week... it upsets me they want to take advantage of us.

Message 29 of 38
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

I don't know why, but your situation really made me mad.

So what if she was a homemaker? Many women (and men) who were homemakers have successfully gone on to join the workforce. It's not like "once a homemaker, always a homemaker!" She COULD get a job if she wanted to. Ditto for your FIL! So what if he retired? There's no law that says you can't un-retire. People retire from a career and then go on to do something else, so why not in his case?

They're still young by today's standards. It's ludicrous to me that they'd voluntarily NOT WORK and then have the audacity to ask you to finance their 'lifestyle' they're used to. I'd be *so* embarrassed if I NEEDED to ask my daughter and son-in-law for financial help--and I'm ill! I CAN'T work. But I'd still die of embarrassment if I had to ask them for financial help. I just don't get this.

And you've been much calmer and nicer than I think I would've been under similar circumstances. I'm afraid I'd blurt out something like "ARE YOU BLANKING KIDDING ME?!!! Go out and get jobs!" Smiley Mad  Or "get a reverse mortgage" or "sell your house" or...something....

Luckily, my in-laws had a very strong work ethic and took care of themselves; they were not wealthy, but they were certainly comfortable--and they never would've dreamed of asking any of us for financial help. They managed their finances very well and had a great retirement--until Parkinson's disease hit, but that's a whole other story....

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.