Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Credit Account with Irresponsible Parents

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shared Credit Account with Irresponsible Parents

My family has a shared credit card account which I am a cardholder for. I am 33 years old and my parents are aging and making some poor choices with the account. I routinely see the balance go up by several thousand dollars (the most recent jump was over $6k).

My credit score is very good and my personal debt is limited to my mortgage. I am wondering if my parents are driving that account towards certain doom and if I should remove myself from the account.

Would it damage my credit score to have myself removed? Or would it damage it more to stay on while they drive up the balance?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Shared Credit Account with Irresponsible Parents

As long as the account is paid in full or minimum payment made (in time!), you are ok. Whether you or someone else makes it. If it strsses you, take yourself out, a few points down temporarily is better than a steep drop because of a missed payment or late payment.

Message 2 of 6
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Personally, I would get out now. As long as everything is current, you will save yourself the worry of wondering what will happen next with their account. Being able to sleep at night without worrying is my goal in life.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disdreamin wrote:
Personally, I would get out now. As long as everything is current, you will save yourself the worry of wondering what will happen next with their account. Being able to sleep at night without worrying is my goal in life.

+1.  I agree with disdreamin.  Save yourself the worry and get out NOW.

Message 4 of 6
davidsl

What do you mean by a 'shared' account? If they are merely AU on your account you already know the only sure way to withdraw your permission is to close the account/change the account #. You can then chase your IP's thru perpetuity for help paying the balance. This will have minimal to no impact on your score as the CCC should continue to report you as a cardholder of [x years] standing. Even if it doesn't, unless you need credit right now to buy a car, house or business, keeping the account for the sake of your score is irrelevant - the damage your parents will inflict will far exceed the temporary hit your score might take. If you're really worried, increase the credit limit on a couple of cards before you lower the boom.

If it's a joint account, all the cardholders are jointly and severally liable for the entire balance. The CCC will allow you to take your name 'off' the account only by closing it entirely and paying it off. Then they will report your history for the next 7 years... You (and your IP's) will still be responsible to pay off the balance, but at least they won't be able to add to it.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Run! Thanks to my parents, I had multiple accounts go to collections a few months ago. All they had to do was let me know 1. They used my info to obtain the accounts and 2  they needed help. They did neither. I found out about them as I was preparing to buy a home. 6 months later, I'm finally clear of the collections (PFD and GW). Hopefully in the next couple months I can buy a home. 

When end it comes to your credit, trust no one!

again, RUN!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.