cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should you ask someone their credit score on the first date?

tag
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: Should you ask someone their credit score on the first date?

If your date's credit score is that important to you ask. Don't worry what the rest of us think. 

I'm not interested in taking on a dependent so if I was asked about financials on a first date I would gracefully decline to answer and suffer the rest of that first and last date. 

Message 21 of 79
Trudy
Valued Contributor

I would say many of us here couldn't provide a positive response to that question in the past, yet we can today. Maybe that person will get there?  

While dating you'll eventually start questioning if its moving in the direction of a relationship and make a decision how to move forward or not.  We're either going to come together and try to make this work or just coast in the meantime.  My opinion, coast until you get to that point.  I'm a believer in be you do your thing, for me a 1st date is just a first date. I may not even know your last name (hell, real name to be honest) or how you support yourself, your goals, whether you've been to prison and now you've managed to have a good credit score.... 

Not trying to determine if I'm going to spend my life with you on a 1st date, "so I don't need your credit score, whatever your name is".  I'm just hoping for a safe enjoyable date and we'll see where it goes Smiley LOL

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 22 of 79
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That's a really interesting point Trudy.

I have always been open with where I stand both on credit and finances but these days if someone asked me about credit I'd seriously consider just opening up the Experian app on my phone and pass it across the table.  Actually on second thought as that's a little confrontational, probably should just smile and ask them how much detail do they want?  Reactions matter blah.

I don't know even technology permitting if I would have been quite so sanguine about that 10 years ago.  I didn't even know what it was... I figured it was legit sub-400 with what little I knew about the credit market/algorithm at that time, and was surprised even at mid-500's to be told by a WF UW that my file wasn't that bad.  

Nobody asked though yesteryear about credit, money sure but FICO?  Far more in the public conciousness now.  Actually I can be explicit: I didn't talk about credit or real finances (beyond income) with anyone until finally to my buddy sitting at breakfast at the Corner Bakery on PCH lamenting home ownership was out of reach without credit, and he explained a few things to me not quite clue-by-four style.  I found this forum shortly after that.  Admittedly I have not been a social super star so it could have happened earlier just without opportunity.

These days I really don't see a problem with telling someone my credit score, I don't really see it as personal or confidential and it is a resource.

Sure there are other boxes to tick, and I know I am a weird duck regarding credit scoring but if someone asked me that question, oh God that's hours of easy conversation if they want it just sayin' Smiley Wink

I should be so lucky to get that much of a pass from the idle chit-chat on a first date about meaningless things which I struggle at.

If nothing else it does bring a new spin on I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Personally I think I will be taking the @thornback route: leave breadcrumbs and see if they want to pickup the conversational thread.  Regardless though some point before getting truly serious the money and credit conversation will be had, that is one of my few non-negotiable things I think.

        
Message 23 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

People will join this forum and and tell their story of how they were trying to establish a relationship (open a credit card) with XYZ bank and they don't understand why they were denied with a 770 FICO score. And what do we tell them? It's more than just your score, but your overall credit file and big picture. How many new accounts in the last 6 months? In the last 24 months? When was your last late payment? Did you burn XYZ bank in the past, even though its not on your credit report anymore? XYZ bank never forgets, Etc...

Trying to establish a relationship with a person should be no different. Why is this person currently at ### score? Was it that their ex hoodwinked them? Was it a medical disaster that put them there? Or was it because they have an impulse spending control problem? Sometimes, you have to let them tell you their story. And other times, you have to figure it out yourself, like noticing that they seem to drive cars, clothes, and own things that seem to be beyond their means yet they are still struggling financially.

So even if they are currently in a "bad" or "not so great" place financially;

1. How & why did they get there?

2. What are they doing to get out of there?

For the people that scoff and tell you to piss off when asked about financials, they are usually the bmw driving, louis vuitton purse carrying people that are ready to become your dependant, as Save-n-Invest so wisely put it. But you don't need to know their actual credit score to figure all that out. If you use your big head, you can underwrite them with several dates for the cost of several dinners & a movie. Unfortunately, some of us use emotion to manipulate the numbers and we clear to close some people when they should have been not approved.

Message 24 of 79
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I think you guys are just dropping hints about being single 😂

Message 25 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilroy8 wrote:

Funny approach.

That stuff comes way later for me.

Chemistry work comes first.

Totally agree. Chemistry first! Smiley Happy

I don't think it hurts to ask later in a serious relationship especially if you're going to be sharing expenses at that point.

Message 26 of 79
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Funny approach.

That stuff comes way later for me.

Chemistry work comes first.

Totally agree. Chemistry first! Smiley Happy

I don't think it hurts to ask later in a serious relationship especially if you're going to be sharing expenses at that point.

Yeah but what if you catch feelings and then find out that person's finances are all jacked up and now you feel obligated to help sort things out (and possibly shell out your own $$ in the process) so you two can have the future you envision?? And then you do all that and the relationship goes south anyway.... NOT THAT IT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME.... IJS. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 27 of 79
donkort
Valued Contributor

No.  I wouldn't ask someone their credit score on the first date.

I would wait until we get serious enough to co-habitate.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 28 of 79
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I have a lot to say about this topic! Although I agree that fiscal responsibility is an important trait in a partner, a FICO score doesn’t give you the whole picture. For example, when my fiancé and I started dating 3 years ago, he was always talking about his 800 credit score, and I’m pretty sure he was trying to get that information out of me. The problem was, I didn’t even have a credit card (or a score for that matter). I had gone without one for about 12 years at that point, because I had made a mess of my credit when I was in college. So instead, I learned to make a budget and live within my means. I paid cash for everything, I saved money, and I had NO debt. Whenever someone discussed credit cards or credit scores, I would internally freak out because I was too scared to admit to anyone that I had neither. Typically, I would mention I was debt free and then move the conversation along. On the other hand, my fiancé with his 800 credit score, loves to shop and spend money and had $15,000 of debt and no savings. All that told me was that he is good at keeping up his payments, but NOT budgeting or living within his means.

Still, the fact that he spoke so openly about credit and his debt, made me more comfortable about it that I started doing more research, which is how I ended up here. Funnily enough, I learned a lot more about credit than my fiancé, and learned that the score he was always talking about was his Vantage score from Creditwise. When I asked him about his FICO, he didn’t know what that was, and I have come to realize that MOST people don’t even know the difference. They go on Credit Karma for their free scores and don’t realize that they have other, more important scores that they should be paying attention to.

What I have taken from all of this is that while credit scores are important, there are better ways to find out how financially stable someone is. Pay attention to their spending, learn about their debts, and be open about your finances. Let them warm up to you until they’re ready to talk about it, so when things start to get serious, you can have that conversation.

Message 29 of 79
donkort
Valued Contributor

That's absolutely true.  The FICO score paints a VERY limited portrait of a person.

Not only that------but it's a very intrusive question, asking someone's FICO score.   

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 30 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.