cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should you ask someone their credit score on the first date?

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Should you ask someone their credit score on the first date?

Oh for heaven's sake it is nobody's business what my score is and if I was in the dating world you wouldn't make it to the check😂😂😂

That is entirely too personal on a first date period. Down the road if it is getting serious finances can be brought up .

When people ask me about my finances I don't tell them anything. I am not hiding anything nor do I have a low score but again that's my business .

Shoot if my hubby didn't date me because I had a low score, he wouldn't be where he is today 😉

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 41 of 79
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Just to chime in this actually happened to me!  

I had met a fellow that I'd known for a number of years, after moving back to the village I grew up in, to go for dinner, first date.  Met as his home. Big house, nice property, owned his own business and seemed to be doing well for himself.  That night he did actually ask if I had good credit.  I laughed, I said my credit was just fine (my credit was near perfect at the time) but he pressed on..."no but really how is your credit?" I laughed again.  It was none of his business and it made him seem desperate, regardless of the grandeur.  In the way that a flash forward was visions of him being irritated how I brushed my teeth and folded my underwear...creepy. 

Needless to say things never progressed and it turns out his house was foreclosed on a year or so after and he's well on his way to a second divorce.  

To each his own, but, it was a "yikes" for me.  Also, not even the best lenders, nor their algorithms, evaluate someone solely on their credit score

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 42 of 79
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

That's a really interesting point Trudy.

I have always been open with where I stand both on credit and finances but these days if someone asked me about credit I'd seriously consider just opening up the Experian app on my phone and pass it across the table.  Actually on second thought as that's a little confrontational, probably should just smile and ask them how much detail do they want?  Reactions matter blah.

I don't know even technology permitting if I would have been quite so sanguine about that 10 years ago.  I didn't even know what it was... I figured it was legit sub-400 with what little I knew about the credit market/algorithm at that time, and was surprised even at mid-500's to be told by a WF UW that my file wasn't that bad.  

Nobody asked though yesteryear about credit, money sure but FICO?  Far more in the public conciousness now.  Actually I can be explicit: I didn't talk about credit or real finances (beyond income) with anyone until finally to my buddy sitting at breakfast at the Corner Bakery on PCH lamenting home ownership was out of reach without credit, and he explained a few things to me not quite clue-by-four style.  I found this forum shortly after that.  Admittedly I have not been a social super star so it could have happened earlier just without opportunity.

These days I really don't see a problem with telling someone my credit score, I don't really see it as personal or confidential and it is a resource.

Sure there are other boxes to tick, and I know I am a weird duck regarding credit scoring but if someone asked me that question, oh God that's hours of easy conversation if they want it just sayin' Smiley Wink

I should be so lucky to get that much of a pass from the idle chit-chat on a first date about meaningless things which I struggle at.

If nothing else it does bring a new spin on I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Personally I think I will be taking the @thornback route: leave breadcrumbs and see if they want to pickup the conversational thread.  Regardless though some point before getting truly serious the money and credit conversation will be had, that is one of my few non-negotiable things I think.

I get it Revelate.  This posts reminds me of the differences in peoples approach or thoughts about relationships and dating as a whole.  Varying personalities.  So there is likely no right answer as we're all individuals.  I am far from codependent, not that I'm suggesting thoughts that differ from mine mean the opposite.  It's just a simplistic way I refer to myself, and as a woman.  I'm way chilled when it comes to relationships.  I always joke that:

I'm a sports junky, we can watch games all day everyday

I'm not searching; if it works, it works

I don't require daily interaction with the person I'm seeing ( I actually prefer some space)

I don't check up on you (too much energy)

etc, etc.

My Mom often reminds me of a statement I made at 16, "I want to marry a military man so we have space and I can look forward to him returning."

I often think" Hell, I'm the perfect girlfriend considering the "stereotype" of men and women.  Yet, I find find men (even when I was much younger) who asks:

Why haven't you called me

What are you doing (asked often)

You don't miss me

Note, if nothing else, on a 1st date I  may make it clear...I'm not that girl, so no worries.  Then, they flip the script Smiley Frustrated

Now when I'm in, I'm all in but still need some space Smiley Happy  I'm a social introvert.  Most people don't pick up on the introvert part.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 43 of 79
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SarahJo wrote:

I had met a fellow that I'd known for a number of years, after moving back to the village I grew up in, to go for dinner, first date.  Met as his home. Big house, nice property, owned his own business and seemed to be doing well for himself.  That night he did actually ask if I had good credit.  I laughed, I said my credit was just fine (my credit was near perfect at the time) but he pressed on..."no but really how is your credit?" I laughed again.  It was none of his business and it made him seem desperate, regardless of the grandeur.  In the way that a flash forward was visions of him being irritated how I brushed my teeth and folded my underwear...creepy. 

Needless to say things never progressed and it turns out his house was foreclosed on a year or so after and he's well on his way to a second divorce.  

To each his own, but, it was a "yikes" for me.  Also, not even the best lenders, nor their algorithms, evaluate someone solely on their credit score

Now, I'm laughing my butt off on this one. Too freaking funny Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 44 of 79
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know this isn't romantic at all but at the end of the day if your like me a guy who is in his mid thirties, very frugal, always pays his bills on time (I prepay my credit cards actually), invests a good chunk of his income and does a side hustle(s) for extra money it seems to me like a good idea just to ask a date her credit score to get a feel if she is good with money or not.  Most people get divorced due to money issues and someone like myself who is naturally frugal is statistically not going to have a relationship workout with a woman who is a spendthrift.  So instead of wasting my time as well as hers is it not best just get the credit score and personal finance stuff out on the table right away to see if we are compatible instead of waiting later on?  

Hmmmmm. I just thought of something. What are your FICO scores since they are not posted? Hmmmmmm.

You see, I'm a girly girl and my scores are in my siggy. Smiley Wink

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 45 of 79
SarahJo
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know this isn't romantic at all but at the end of the day if your like me a guy who is in his mid thirties, very frugal, always pays his bills on time (I prepay my credit cards actually), invests a good chunk of his income and does a side hustle(s) for extra money it seems to me like a good idea just to ask a date her credit score to get a feel if she is good with money or not.  Most people get divorced due to money issues and someone like myself who is naturally frugal is statistically not going to have a relationship workout with a woman who is a spendthrift.  So instead of wasting my time as well as hers is it not best just get the credit score and personal finance stuff out on the table right away to see if we are compatible instead of waiting later on?  

Hmmmmm. I just thought of something. What are your FICO scores since they are not posted? Hmmmmmm.

You see, I'm a girly girl and my scores are in my siggy. Smiley Wink

With those scores I smell a DM marriage proposal! However, with certain terms, quid pro quos, addendums...er
just make sure you read the fine print. 😇

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 46 of 79
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Short answer is no.

I had a woman ask me about my overall financial health on our 3rd date one time, but it was appropiate as we were discussing credit card offers we both were receiving. If someone asked that on the first date, it would be a turn off.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 47 of 79
donkort
Valued Contributor

It's just ridiculous and grotesque to me.

Takes away all the romance....

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 48 of 79
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@SarahJo wrote:

He was looking for a sponsor. His preocupation with your ability to borrow was directly related to his financial fragility. We read post in this section about women with poor money management skills waiting to pounce on a romantic partner. That train runs both ways. 

Higher on this thread I made a reference to not wanting to take on a dependant. That was a direct reference to any man who was more interested in my credit score than me. Those dots connect themselves.

Your good instincts saved you from Mr. Wrong.

Message 49 of 79
GApeachy
Super Contributor

The Dating Game seems so different compared to when DH and I dated. 

Does anyone do any research before hopping in a car with a stranger these days? If so, what?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 50 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.