cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Person Finance: Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Single Person Finance: Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

My company reimburses $700 per month for my medical insurance. My student loans are $700 per month. Should I cancel my medical insurance and use the medical reimbursement for my student loans, instead? Do I need to tell my company? Currently, there is no company benefit for educational needs. I go to the Doctor no more than two times per year for preventative care and to renew my prescription. Thank you for your input.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Single Person Finance: Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

If it was me I wouldn’t cancel the insurance. If an emergency came up, you would end up with thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars more worth of debt.

Message 2 of 13
LakeLife
Established Contributor

That's an amazing benefit!  When my ex was in the military I worked for WorldCom, and I got less than $100 a month for denying their medical insurance.   $700 would have be fantastic!  

I agree that you shouldn't cancel your insurance, because you could end up in a hole bitter than your student loan debt. 

Message 3 of 13
FlaDude
Established Contributor

As other posters mentioned, a major reason to have health insurance is not so much to cover routine care, but to protect against unexpected events or diagnoses that can be very expensive. Going without insurance is a gamble that only you can decide if you want to take.

As far as using the reimbursement money for other purposes, here are a couple of things you'd want to check:

• Does your company policy require the money to be used for health insurance?
  • Is the benefit taxed or non-taxed? If it is non-taxed because it is meant to be used for insurance, using it for other purposes could turn it into taxable income.
Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing with medical insurance is you never know when you'd need it, and without one the fees could easily rack up. I agree with the posters above, I would not advise canceling it.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. Good advice. I want to keep the $8,400 in my disposable cash. However, I understand the risk if I cancel my medical insurance. Thank you.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

• Does your company policy require the money to be used for health insurance? YES
  • Is the benefit taxed or non-taxed? If it is non-taxed because it is meant to be used for insurance, using it for other purposes could turn it into taxable income. TAXED
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is an amazing benefit. I want to "flip it" and use it to pay my student loans, so I can keep the $8400 in my disposable cash. I do understand the risk if I get sick or hurt. Ugh. It is smarter to keep medical coverage. Thank you.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

True! Thank you.

Message 9 of 13
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
  • Does your company policy require the money to be used for health insurance? YES

So what is the penalty for using the money for something else? If the company finds out do they stop paying the $700/mo? Do the require reimbursement for past amounts paid to you?

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.