cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Person Finance: Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Single Person Finance: Cancel Medical Insurance to repay Student Loans?

I do not know. However, it could be viewed as theft and cause for termination. So, I should not risk it.

Message 11 of 13
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

So many, many reason to just keep the insurance.

So.....keep the insurance.    

You may never need it and look back and think - wow, I could have paid this or that and none of it is worth the risk of financial and health related disaster.    Look at the stats on the amount of people that have had their lives and credit so terribly impacted by health issues with or without insurance

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not know. However, it could be viewed as theft and cause for termination. So, I should not risk it.

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep the insurance.    

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 13
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
  • Does your company policy require the money to be used for health insurance? YES
  • Is the benefit taxed or non-taxed? If it is non-taxed because it is meant to be used for insurance, using it for other purposes could turn it into taxable income. TAXED

There is your answer right there.  If the company requires you to use it for medical insurance then you are not allowed to use it for anything else. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.