cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sister-in-law taking out fraudulent life insurance in my husband's name.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sister-in-law taking out fraudulent life insurance in my husband's name.

My sister-in-law is taking out fraudulent life insurance in my husband's name.

She named herself as the beneficiary on a $100,000 policy, and I get a letter to my husband addressed to her house, but routed to my PO Box because of an old mail forwarding order.

I open it up and it says something like "Hi, <husband's name>!" and starts listing off the $100k death benefit, his sister as beneficiary, and the policy details like premiums, and she set it up to autopay out of her bank account at the credit union she uses.

We took it straight to the police. I already had suspicions about her and had active fraud alerts on my husband's credit report because he told me that when he arrived in the country, she tried opening credit cards in his new Social Security number and there was a hard pull from Capital One on the report. 

After reporting this to the police, who are now investigating it, we got the fraud department on the phone and canceled the policy, and they're sending us an Affidavit of Fraud to fill out and get notarized to mail back to them so they can start working this from their end.

I had TransUnion and Experian freeze his credit reports, but we've been having trouble getting into Equifax to do that (will sort that out later, I guess.

I noticed that there's a Soft Pull from the company that sold her the plan, and it's some sort of tech company out of California called Ethos Technologies.

I reported his sister to the FTC. Don't expect THEM to do anything, but it was enough to get an Identity Theft Report to do an extended fraud alert. Will get that in today.

As far as ongoing fraud, what should we plan on, and how do we lock that down before she has any more ideas?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Sister-in-law taking out fraudulent life insurance in my husband's name.

Is your sil's address listed anywhere on dh's credit reports?  (from when she opened the fraudulent cc's)  If so, dispute and get those off.  If her address is NOT on his 3cb reports it's odd that the Ins. company would have mailed the policy to her address inside of the address they could have viewed on his reports when doing a soft pull.  Unless his other reports like Lexis Nexis, etc. do have sil's address listed on his.  You'll have to search those to find out, if you haven't already.

Did the Ins. company give a reason as to why they mailed the policy to her address instead of his?

USPS did really well in this case.

GL with this, too bad it even happened.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I deleted his sister's address from all of his credit reports a while back fearing that she could find them useful in furtherance of her fraud.

I did not know about Lexis Nexis, but we just filed a suppression request on them with the FTC Identity Theft Report.

Thanks for that!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This whole thing is getting stranger.

I called the number for Ethos listed on the pull and got the personal cell phone of one of their executives. She's working with their corporate security department to open an investigation into my sister-in-law and to shut down any insurance policies she took out through them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.