Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So discouraged

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So discouraged

I have been working on my husband's credit so we are able to buy our new house together. I sold the house I owned before I met him and we are temporarily at my mother's while I worked on his credit. We were getting so close and last night his credit score randomly dropped 40 points.  I couldn't understand how that could have happened. I pulled his report etc. Today his ex wife tells us that she used his SS number to get new cell phones for the kids without asking us, most likely explaining the drop. I'm sick to my stomach and so upset. How do I take care of this? I told her I was reporting it fraudulent. What will happen after that? Also why am I unable to see any report changes other than the drastic drop? Please help.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: So discouraged

Before turning in the ex-wife, you and dh need to agree on how to handle that situation.  We're talking serious ramifications for their children's mother.....might not be the best way to handle that.  But, even though she used his SS# to finance phones it does not guarantee that that purchase is why his score(s) dropped so dramatically.  You will need to pull other cr's for the next couple of weeks to really get a clear picture....like CK, Exp, etc.  There could be a derog that's popping up you haven't seen (yet) OR perhaps old tl's fell off his reports, etc.

Just be sure before pulling the trigger (getting ex in trouble) take some time to investigate further.

If his scores really did drop that dramatically due to her actions then I would recommend giving her an ultimatum....pay it off pronto or else.

Again though....handle this carefully so there aren't any regrets.  His score dropped but yet there wasn't that purchase being reflected yet....just be aware that something not showing yesterday (derogs, etc.) could show today or a little later.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 21
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Also, what score are you referring too? (what cr?) Fico or Fako?

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's showing on all vantage 3.0 platforms right now.  Myfico hasn't shown it yet but I update on 1.6 so I'm waiting for that before doing anything. 

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's the difficult position I'm in. I obviously am not going to do anything to hurt the kids. She's still their mom.  Is their an option to report without pressing charges? I'm waiting for myfico to update on 1.6 before I do anything.

Message 5 of 21
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Vantage scores are like polar opposites of ficos....wait for myFico, his scores may have even increased. 

Go lock his crs..... consider it a lesson learned 👍 Next time it may be a stranger and during a time y'all are in the mortgage process. 

Message 6 of 21
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Better yet, freeze his reports. Free to do so.

Message 7 of 21
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

He calls the phone company and says "I didnt order these phones, close the account."  Easy peasy.  No police report, nothing.  Its the ex-wives issue at that point. 

I was in a similar situation.  The phones were shipped to a completely different address then mine.  I said " I didnt order these phones".  I never heard from Verizon again.  I put a pin number on my account and that was the end of that.  

As for the devils triangle, husband, ex-wife, new wife, thats an entirely different story. 

Sounds like he needs his reports frozen.  That way the identity thief cant pull this crap again.  Believe me, this isnt the first time and it wont be the last time.  Been there done that.  

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I locked his credit with each of the 3 companies. I will wait for the FICO scores to come and see what happens with those. Thanks for all the replies. We have been watching everything so close and working hard for the increases we've gotten so this was just such a blow. We did talk to cricket wireless and they said we had to file a report to get them to remove his info and close the account but the police said we didn't have to press charges so that will probably be the way we will go if they don't take care of it for us when we go into the store tomorrow. 

Thanks again. 

Message 9 of 21
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Ah, cricket wireless.  The onus should be put back on them.  They didnt check that the social didnt match the person in front of them?  Terrible business practices.  Anyway, Im sure it will work out for you.  There is only so much you can do to avoid hitting the bumps in the road, its what you do after you hit the bump. 

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes, your information can help someone else down the road!

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.