Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So discouraged

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: So discouraged

@Anonymous put fraud alerts on all credit bureaus as well. It's another layer of added protection.  

Update when his scores come in. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 11 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I'm not familiar with Cricket's setup, but I used to work in selling mobile phones myself with ATT/VZW/Sprint (when it wasn't part of T-Mobile yet), and whenever someone bought phones, there was no HP/new account ever reported (unless of course you default), so I'm not sure I understand how a phone purchase ended up on a credit report?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 21
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

OP, I'm not in the camp of allowing or excusing toxic and/or illegal behavior because someone is "family" or familial adjacent.  In fact, abusers often bank on the close/personal nature as a sure fire way to get away with said behavior leaving the aggrieved to face the consequences. This sad excuse has gone on for generations and needs to stop.

With that being said, if the mother of your spouse's children doesn't want law enforcement involved, then don't commit actions that yield such consequences. Don't set a dangerous precedent here, you don't want to encourage such illegal mistreatment in the future.  I mean what incentive is there if she knows all you will do is look the other way?

Hopefully, you make the situation right for you and your spouse.  You sound like you have enough on your plate, and there is no reason to let someone hinder your progress and hard work while they sew all the benefits at you and your spouse's expense. 

Message 13 of 21
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous  Did you ever find out what the issue was?  What was the result of the FICO score update?

Message 14 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I'm not familiar with Cricket's setup, but I used to work in selling mobile phones myself with ATT/VZW/Sprint (when it wasn't part of T-Mobile yet), and whenever someone bought phones, there was no HP/new account ever reported (unless of course you default), so I'm not sure I understand how a phone purchase ended up on a credit report?

Yeah i dont see phones being purchased as a reason for score drop unless a credit card was used whereas the utilization was high or it created a new account. Something else caused the score drop , the phones jyst happened to be a coincidence imho. 

Message 15 of 21
ghgirll40
New Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Yeah i dont see phones being purchased as a reason for score drop unless a credit card was used whereas the utilization was high or it created a new account. Something else caused the score drop , the phones jyst happened to be a coincidence imho. 

I remember reading about this a couple weeks back. Did we ever find out what *did* cause the score drop?

|EX 736|TU 722|EQ 718| NFCU Platinum Visa Signature |
Message 16 of 21
lovebackwards
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been working on my husband's credit so we are able to buy our new house together. I sold the house I owned before I met him and we are temporarily at my mother's while I worked on his credit. We were getting so close and last night his credit score randomly dropped 40 points.  I couldn't understand how that could have happened. I pulled his report etc. Today his ex wife tells us that she used his SS number to get new cell phones for the kids without asking us, most likely explaining the drop. I'm sick to my stomach and so upset. How do I take care of this? I told her I was reporting it fraudulent. What will happen after that? Also why am I unable to see any report changes other than the drastic drop? Please help.

So sorry this happened. I hope there was a resolution to this!

Starting Score [FICO 9] - Nov 2020    Current FICO 8 Scores - 7/08/2022

Goal Scores

Credit Cards - Total: $10,750

Inquiries - 24 Months                                                   Most Recent Hard Pull

Goal Cards

Gardening since 05/04/2021 - Goal: 24 months
Message 17 of 21
donkort
Valued Contributor

The OP hasn't responded in about 3 months.  

I hope the situation was resolved.

It's true that cell phone accounts don't show up on credit reports.  Mine never did.

If you're seeking a cell phone account, I believe they do a soft pull.  They want to make sure there are no serious delinquencies,  It seems to me that even people with 500's scores have no trouble getting cell phone accounts.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 18 of 21
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@donkort wrote:

The OP hasn't responded in about 3 months.  

I hope the situation was resolved.

It's true that cell phone accounts don't show up on credit reports.  Mine never did.

If you're seeking a cell phone account, I believe they do a soft pull.  They want to make sure there are no serious delinquencies,  It seems to me that even people with 500's scores have no trouble getting cell phone accounts.

Just an FYI, last time I switched phone carriers it was a HP so it can and does happen that a new phone can affect your credit score, that being said a HP won't cause a 40 point drop 

Message 19 of 21
donkort
Valued Contributor

I guess not having a new cell phone account for about 10 years accounts for my not being "up to date."

The last time I had a new cell phone account, my FICOS were in the mid to high 600s.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.