Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spousal Reallocation?

tag
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Spousal Reallocation?

Please don't roast me- I have, what feels like, a dumb question. Smiley Indifferent  But, to be fair, I've tried researching to no avail.  Before I straight up contact the lender and certainly embarrass myself, I thought I would ask my experienced peers.  Is allocating one's credit limit to one's spouse's credit card account (amongst same lender) a possibility?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Spousal Reallocation?

I've never seen this topic come up, but my guess would be no. Maybe there is some lender somewhere that does it, but you'd have to say who you want to try it with and see if anybody has any experience with that particular lender.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 2 of 8
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

I've never seen this topic come up, but my guess would be no. Maybe there is some lender somewhere that does it, but you'd have to say who you want to try it with and see if anybody has any experience with that particular lender.

My guess initially, was also no.  But I have seen taboo questions come up before that had relevance.  Discover is the specific lender I'm concerning.  My wife is planning to eventually close her Disco card, and I thought, what a shame it would be to lose credit, if in some cast of light it didn't have to be.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I don't think it's possible. Although it's the same lender, technically it's two different accounts with two different account holders.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way they might do it, is if you were joint owners on both accounts. And even then it might take some convincing. 

This was a thing that could happen a very long time ago at local Banks though, if a Husband and Wife were co-account holders. Though the Bank would need signed consent from both parties. 

Also, someone once told me that there are no stupid questions in the persuit of knowledge. Even though it can feel emabarrassing in the moment.

It can't hurt to ask Discover, the worst they can say is no. It seems the school of thought about closing cards is to move that CL to another card to keep it, as if it has any worth at all. If we're talking a large CL I can understand for UT reasons.

Message 5 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it's possible. Although it's the same lender, technically it's two different accounts with two different account holders.

This. From the bank's perspective, the difference between my spouse and some random schlub on the street is ... nothing.

Think of it this way - If you were a bank, what would be your response if one of your customers just up and asked you to re-allocate some of the credit (and risk) extended to them to some other random person?

Message 6 of 8
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Why close the card?

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 7 of 8
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

'there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers".  Colin powell😀

In my opinion I really dont think its possible, but you can always call and try for sure, good luck!

Capital one 500, Discover 11.1k. UMB Signature visa 18.5k, DW UMB card Auth user 16K. Citi Costco anywhere 26.6k, Amazon Prime 22.3K
BH/Comenity Photo 10k Lowes advantage 35k
AAOA 2y4m, oldest 5 years. 0 collections. 125k income, Util 1% inq 1/12. 1/24. 30/60/90 = 0, No derog's, clean file. Rebuilding started 4 years ago.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 795
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.