cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[TX]Divorce from spouse, how to divided car that has loan on it. Spouse paid all 5k of payments.

tag
Rocd
Established Member

[TX]Divorce from spouse, how to divided car that has loan on it. Spouse paid all 5k of payments.

Original purchase price was 16k in 2015 during our marriage.Loan in my name only. Remaining balance is 11k. No equity. Spouse had paid 5k towards it and since Texas is a community property state I think legally I have to cover half of those payments at the divorce so I would need to buy the spouse out/reimburse an amount of around 2500$. No kids, no house, no other large assets married around about 2 years. Is this correct?

Starting Score: 1/9/13 579EQ 550EX 560TU
Current Score: 1/9/13 579EQ 550EX 560TU
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Rocd
Established Member

Re: [TX]Divorce from spouse, how to divided car that has loan on it. Spouse paid all 5k of payments.

Could I get a little help here? Really in a bind. Sh does not want to car. It has a loan of 11k left on it. Loan is in my name only, not cosigned. thanks!

Message 2 of 8
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Re: [TX]Divorce from spouse, how to divided car that has loan on it. Spouse paid all 5k of payments.

Sorry that I don't know the answer for you.  But I thought someone should reply to you...

M advice is to ask an attorney in TX.  They might be able to shed some light on how to dissolve your assets and split liabilities.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 3 of 8
Rocd
Established Member

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Yes, I'd say the same. Get some legal advice. These things are hard to tell, especially when different states handle things their own way. I wish I had more for you, but I certainly do not want to give you a guessed answer.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 8
Rocd
Established Member

thanks

Message 6 of 8
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Texas is a community property state which means that everything is split roughly equally from the items. This is a rarity in the states. I recommend talking to a Texas lawyer to handle this. In my opinion one of two items will be done. Either you owe her 2500 in credit of your claims, half the debt after the car is sold, or she will owe you 5500  since the 5000 dollars in payments were from joint funds durring the marrage.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 7 of 8
Rocd
Established Member

Divorce became uncontested and used lawyer mainly for paperwork. Lawyer advised that I didnt' have to compensate for car because she basicly paid for the use of the vehicle and I was going to take a loss during the trade/sell(which I did).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.