Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Liens

tag
jroxy5
Established Member

Tax Liens

Pulled my TU CR and found two CA State Tax Liens.  First of all, I have always paid my Taxes.  Second, Never received a notice from the FTB.  Third, IRS Identity Thief Victim on my 2011 Taxes.  I am in total shock and distress over this.  Have to call the FTB in the AM to find out about this.  Then I happen to do a search on my name and found that I had lived in several cities, I never lived in my life.  WOW, I hear many people have been destroyed financially being ID Thief. 

Does Anyone have any advice or at least encouragement!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jroxy5
Established Member

Re: Tax Liens

FYI:  Just to let everyone know; the issue was taken care of.  Contacted EDD and the CS Lady informed me; I had applied for a SEIN and did not go into the ebusiness section and file whether or not I paid taxes for my employees.  Well, I am a independent contractor and I don't have employees. Problem Solved!!!

I was surprise to hear the lady telling me; she has received many calls like mines.  Her co-workers with the EDD do not help  people with similar issues; but  she helps them because she would want the help.  Hooray...my tax lien issue will be process overnight, then I contact the collection division to have the liens removed from my CR.

However, my FICO score on TU dropped into the 400s.  I really do not know how much this will effect my score once the Liens are removed.  Either way, I am confident I can get myself back into the 700 club over the next two years...

Anyway, I really hope the community on MyFico are not like the EDD employees who do not go out of their comfort zone to help another person. Even words of encourage goes a long way and to my surprise not one word of encouragement from MyFico Community; instead noted 19 heartless people  (at the time of this update posting) just reading another post along the way to a higher FICO Score...

Suze Orman once said, "Money first, then People"...

Watch out because this may happen to you or someone you love and there may not be a quick fix like my situation !

Message 2 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

A simple dispute should remove it from TU.

Be sure to check Innovis, too!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Years ago, I had an EIN tax number and a business license.  I had several companies that told me that they were going to hire me as a contractor, so I got the number to file for taxes, etc.  You know, being a good girl.

Well, the companies decided before the first check was sent to make me an employee.  So I never used the EIN number or business license and I informed the said entities.

I was SHOCKED to find out I owed outstanding taxes, fines, and penalties to the county!!!  [where I had my business license].  The outstanding taxes were for the first year as well as subsequent years, even though I did not have a business license. (When they made me an employee, I cancelled everything including business license.)

It took months to clear it up.  One person thinks that someone decided to manually created an income for my non existent business and then tax me on it.  They also renewed by business license, waived the fee for the license,  and tacked taxes for the additional years.  I had to provide several years worth of paystubs and proof that I had moved years ago (for the job).

GLAD you didn't give up!  I hope you can help others that have the same experience.

Message 4 of 12
jroxy5
Established Member

Thanks for the input; much appreciated.  I contact EDD; I was fined for not telling them I was paying or not paying wages.  I paid the $56; once the check clears the bank. I call back for a letter and in 45 days the liens will be removed.  I'm just one of the lucky ones...

Message 5 of 12
jroxy5
Established Member

@IOBA:  Thanks for the reply.  My problem was, I applied for the SEIN when I should not have.  You only need it, if your going to hiring employees.  Independent Contractors don't need one.  You only need the FEIN and healthcare people need the additional NPI(National Provider ID); which I do have, but no worries with the NPI; it's just proof of your healthcare status. 

Lucky for me, a really nice lady at EDD walked me through the whole process of clearing up my mess.  You live and learn.  I was fined $56 for not informing EDD about paying wages or not.  I paid the fine on the spot and once the checks clear EDD; I call back for a letter, around May 3rd, then EDD will remove the Liens within 45 days.  In this regards, I am very fortunate. However, I know there are people out there in worse shape. 

Those Liens hurt my Fico Score and knocked TU to 487.  It may take about a year or so to bring that one up into the 600s.  However, I will do everything in my power to speed up the process...

Message 6 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Your score should rebound fast once the lien is gone.

Message 7 of 12
jroxy5
Established Member

@ Drkaje:  Thanks for the feedback.  I contact EDD and they are sending me the Letter and the process for the Liens to be remove is already in progress.  EDD told me it will take upto 45 days.  Naturally the 45 days have to do when the CRA receives info and update on their end. 

Against thanks; Really want my scores back up.  Use to be in the 700s club, but things in life happen.  However, one must take charge of their finances...

Message 8 of 12
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Once the lien is removed, dispute and ask for method of verification.

Message 9 of 12
jroxy5
Established Member

@drkaje:  Thanks for the input. 

Question:  If I am asking for the verification after the liens have been removed; what will the verification do for me?  EDD, themselves are in the process of having the Liens removed due to I do not owe back taxes.  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.