Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using spouse income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using spouse income?

@tacpoly wrote:

You need to establish your own credit, not just as an authorized user.  A lot of things can happen unexpectedly (death, divorce) and you need to be able to stand on your own without him.  BTW, are you on the auto loan or mortgage? 

Go ahead and put his salary down on the application.  To prove it, you can show a joint tax return. 

Contrary to many of the advice here, I suggest you get only 1 or 2 credit card accounts in your name.  You don't need more because you have the authorized user cards.  Please do not do any app sprees or get random store cards; I think a lot of cards are a temptation to spend.  Just get the card(s) you need and what will be useful to you. 

+1

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's fine listing spouse income cause they do ask for household income. My wife is a stay at home mom too and when she applies for credit she list my income. When we apply for cards separately her SL is always higher than mine. Her credit didn't dump like mine back in 09-10

Message 12 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

You need to establish your own credit, not just as an authorized user.  A lot of things can happen unexpectedly (death, divorce) and you need to be able to stand on your own without him.  BTW, are you on the auto loan or mortgage? 

Go ahead and put his salary down on the application.  To prove it, you can show a joint tax return. 

Contrary to many of the advice here, I suggest you get only 1 or 2 credit card accounts in your name.  You don't need more because you have the authorized user cards.  Please do not do any app sprees or get random store cards; I think a lot of cards are a temptation to spend.  Just get the card(s) you need and what will be useful to you. 

I do generally agree with this thought.  But if you do it at times, it won't hurt.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.