cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was married to a complete opposite

805orbust
Established Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite

I agree wholeheartedly my friend!

FICO 8:    EQ  731  |  TU  739  |  EX  738
Message 11 of 20
DinoMonkey2130
New Member

Re: Was married to a complete opposite

Thank you for sharing your story. 

 

I guess it's true what they say, "We can't have it all." Some people have wealth, but not the best of health, and others have it the other way. All we can really do is try our very best while we are here. At least that's what I think 🙂.

 

I admire you and your ex for developing a friendly relationship post marriage, despite your differences. We need more of that these days 👍.

Hang in there, and I hope your health gets better.

 

Message 12 of 20
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite

I am not sure he is necessarily "bad" with money. It sounds like his needs are met through his SS & VA benefits plus left over funds. He does not have to worry about upkeep, repairs, light bulbs, hedges etc. His life sounds enjoyable and simple. It actually sounds like what we see in adverts of older people. his "income" and low expenses brings about freedom. It's what the adverts show us instead of anxiety riddled Americans. Why hold onto things?

Message 13 of 20
SoCalGardener
Established Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite


@GrandBay wrote:

I am not sure he is necessarily "bad" with money. It sounds like his needs are met through his SS & VA benefits plus left over funds. He does not have to worry about upkeep, repairs, light bulbs, hedges etc. His life sounds enjoyable and simple. It actually sounds like what we see in adverts of older people. his "income" and low expenses brings about freedom. It's what the adverts show us instead of anxiety riddled Americans. Why hold onto things?


Thanks for the view from the opposite angle. You're definitely right that his life is enjoyable and simple, and he's very happy...

 

But I couldn't live like that. I need to know there's money in the bank in case something comes up. Shoot, the deductible on my earthquake insurance alone is $25,000! He couldn't get $25,000 together if his life depended on it!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardAmerican Express Platinum CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver Visa CardCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards CardSynchrony Home Card
Message 14 of 20
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite


@SoCalGardener wrote:

 

But I couldn't live like that. I need to know there's money in the bank in case something comes up. Shoot, the deductible on my earthquake insurance alone is $25,000! He couldn't get $25,000 together if his life depended on it!


Very interesting discussion.  I can relate to both you and your husband, landing probably closer to his POV.  (my phone's auto-suggest thought I meant to type POVERTY -- haha and likely about right!)

 

One reason I've acquired credit cards since I retired is that although our retirement income is more than sufficient, DH and I don't have a lot of savings. But if we need to cover an emergency we have cc options. 

 

Our house is paid for so we have equity that can be tapped and we have lots of stuff. Boy do we have stuff.

 

DH never does anything half way. Anything he takes an interest in he does all the way.  This has resulted in stuff (vintage musical equipment, vintage motorcycles) which also could be liquidated. But it would take time to sell 12 motorcycles or numerous guitars and amps. Plus the worst time to sell is when you need the money, especially if you need it in a hurry. 

 

When we were much younger we used pawn shop loans. I imagine that sounds shocking to some but it was handy and easy. Interest rates like Synchrony bank cards are now LOL. Pawn shops will loan money on the craziest items. 

 

I'm glad you still have the long distance companionship of your ex-husband. The past year of covid hardship reminded us all how precious it is to not be alone. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 15 of 20
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite

@KatSoDak , your pawn shop loans are not a surprise at all. When I was in college I shopped the area pawn shops for very nice jewelery. I picked up some very nice things there that are still worn. 

 

Any business that provvides an ethical service to the public is aces wtih me.

Message 16 of 20
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite

@KatSoDak just for hahas! I'd love to hear any of the things on the "craziest items" list! 😂


@KatSoDak wrote:

 

When we were much younger we used pawn shop loans. I imagine that sounds shocking to some but it was handy and easy. Interest rates like Synchrony bank cards are now LOL. Pawn shops will loan money on the craziest items. 

 

I'm glad you still have the long distance companionship of your ex-husband. The past year of covid hardship reminded us all how precious it is to not be alone. 

 


 





Message 17 of 20
SoCalGardener
Established Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite


@PandaGirl77 wrote:

@KatSoDak just for hahas! I'd love to hear any of the things on the "craziest items" list! 😂




I second that motion! Smiley Very Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardAmerican Express Platinum CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver Visa CardCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards CardSynchrony Home Card
Message 18 of 20
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite


@SoCalGardener wrote:

@PandaGirl77 wrote:

@KatSoDak just for hahas! I'd love to hear any of the things on the "craziest items" list! 😂




I second that motion! Smiley Very Happy


Full size cement mixer

Car engine hoist

Kitchen Aid mixer

Sunglasses and designer bags

Leaf blower

Tool belt (and every tool from every trade)

Motor cycle leathers

Golf clubs

Tents

Fur and or leather coats

Grills

Area rugs

 

I figure when you think of a pawn shop you expect jewelry, guns, musical instruments and gold or silver coins/bullion. But really anything the pawn broker thinks he can sell is likely to get a loan. 

 

 

 

 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 19 of 20
SoCalGardener
Established Contributor

Re: Was married to a complete opposite


@KatSoDak wrote:


Full size cement mixer

Car engine hoist

Kitchen Aid mixer

Sunglasses and designer bags

Leaf blower

Tool belt (and every tool from every trade)

Motor cycle leathers

Golf clubs

Tents

Fur and or leather coats

Grills

Area rugs

 

I figure when you think of a pawn shop you expect jewelry, guns, musical instruments and gold or silver coins/bullion. But really anything the pawn broker thinks he can sell is likely to get a loan. 

 


Full-sized cement mixer?! Smiley Surprised

 

Thanks for sharing. That's some list! Smiley Very Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardAmerican Express Platinum CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver Visa CardCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards CardSynchrony Home Card
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.