cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding Rings

tag
pstx

Re: Wedding Rings

It sounds like you are making a good choice.

The 2-3 months salary thing is just marketing, so feel free to ignore.

I would say, looking back, the most memorable/important thing is the process of picking it out, and you seem to be on the right track. Having something designed that you both care about is better and long term will mean more than if he just picked something out at the jewelry store, even if it were much more expensive.

The next thing is how it looks.

The thing that I can tell you I spent a lot of time thinking about before Buying a ring, and ** zero ** time thinking about sense then, is all of the stuff about VS, vs2, etc. You should know what you are getting, but the cut and size are important to how it looks, while slight differences in quality are meaningless as an owner of a ring.
Message 11 of 20
mojave

My MIL and FIL married when she was 18 and he was 20. Looking at it strictly from a value standpoint, the engagement ring is nothing worth writing home about. They are now in the 20-30 years down the road and you should see the rings she sports on the other hand! He makes a lot of money now and they are very secure financially. She now has three huge, shiny rocks on her right hand with diamond bands equally blinding. My ring was about $7k but my husband was making good money. My point being, don't kill yourself financially over a ring. My husband still had to finance it. You can also look into lab made diamonds - admittedly I don't know anything about them but they are diamonds that are made in the lab and I know are significantly less. I would imagine there's no difference but I'm not sure.

Message 12 of 20
localuser
Regular Contributor

She picked out a man made diamond that she saw in a pop science magazine aand I bought a $300 band to set it in. She loves it everyday and her (fairly wealthy) family has no idea. Her aunt has a ring the size of an ice cube and just loves her two rings. My ring was $60. A ring is just something for YOU to cherish so get what makes you both happy.  I wish you two a very happy long lasting marriage and keep a open line of communication.

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 13 of 20
notasailor23

My husband and I spent $1100 for all three of our rings. We were/are living pretty much paycheck to paycheck as we slowly save up some money and didn't want to spend beyond our means. Plus, I have ridiculously tiny fingers and a diamon any larger than the one I have would look quite silly on me!

Message 14 of 20
voukephalas
Established Member

For anyone interested in the history behind diamonds as engagement rings (it is essentially a marketer's dream come true, and not tied to any practical or otherwise cultural historical significance), I recommend :"The Heartless Stone".

It made me reconsider diamonds as emotionally significant baubles.

Message 15 of 20
Startome
Regular Contributor

I spent $300 dollars on a proposal ring recently, and my take home is about 1200 a month. She pesters me often more than once a week wanting to know when she can have it (It won't be much longer... Smiley Happy  ). She is smart and managed to find out what it looks like, then proceeded to investigate online and find pictures of what it looks like in detail. (At least I know I have a resourceful, if surprise spoiling, girlfriend). It really does just come down to how each of you view a ring's place in your relationship. You both may be very symbolic, and the ring be an incredibly important thing. Or you can be like one of the above posters who either never had a ring or only wore it a short time. I know with my girlfriend and I, it is important how much she likes it's appearance, and she likes to show it off. But she knows we don't have the means to go hog wild lol.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 16 of 20
bartoe
New Contributor

KatherineLee --- I know this sounds crazy, but look on eBay.  My fiance and I found an amazing deal with a ring that was held to his standards (my fiance's not mine). We are getting it in the mail rezied to fit mine, and then have it appriased.  If the ring turns out what it's suppose to be -- we only paid $3200 for a ring worth almost 16,000.00 He and I are both happy with it especially since we will have saved about 13k to what he would have paid!

Also, look at Swaroski Crystal.  I have a ring that he initiially bought me because I was changing jobs and we didn't know the area quite well Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 20
Xer0_SiN
New Contributor

i always heard the rule of thumb is 2x your monthly pay.
NFCU Cash #1: 15000, NFCU Cash #2: 15000, USAA Plat: 10000, USAA AMEX: 10000, Local CU #1: 7500, Chase Hyatt: 5000, NASA FCU: 5000, SDFCU: 5000, FNBO: 5000, Militarystar: 4700, Chase Militarystar: 4700, Local CU #2: 3000, Chase Ink Classic: 3000 Zales: 2700 Discover IT: 1500, GE Amazon: 1400, GE Walmart: 1400, Target: 500, GE Dillards: 300
NFCU LOC: 15000, Local CU LOC: 3000
Message 18 of 20
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I spent 750.  My cousin is a jeweler lol.  It woulda retailed about 1500 at the time.  Over the years, i have added a new wrap (insert the ring fits in) with more diamonds etc.  I know this post is old, but it has me wondering, whatever happened ? LOL

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 19 of 20
Startome
Regular Contributor

@KoolDev wrote:

I spent 750.  My cousin is a jeweler lol.  It woulda retailed about 1500 at the time.  Over the years, i have added a new wrap (insert the ring fits in) with more diamonds etc.  I know this post is old, but it has me wondering, whatever happened ? LOL

^^^

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.