Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Youngsters Simply Don't Care!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When Youngsters Simply Don't Care!

@Anonymous wrote:

I forgot to mention that my parents hate credit cards more than Dave Ramsey.

They literally believe credit cards are evil.

I don't disagree with your parents.  No one needs credit cards.  If people are of the mindset to always save and pay cash then the need for credit does not exist.  Are some things harder with no credit, sure but not impossible.  Let the kids be.  

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was given no guidance as far as credit goes, so by the time I was 22, I had defaulted on my student loans, racked up 5K in collections and another 1500 in chargeoffs! Now I am 29, and actually need credit, everything negative has fallen off, and I am finally at where I should have been over a decade ago! 

The youth in your family is already better off, just having you explain the benefits/consequences of credit can be enough of a deterrent not to mess up their credit. Not using credit at their age is BETTER than messing their credit up at that age!!! 

Message 12 of 23
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anybody of age will tell you that life is full of would'ves, could'ves and sometimes regrets.

I'm 49 years old and I remember when I was a punk kid, my parents, grandparents and others urged me to save money, collectively shouting, "Boy, that money is burning a hole in your pockets!"

And, like most teenagers, it went in one ear and out of the other.

Now, the roles have changed, it's me who's advising my children, neices and nephews on personal finance, credit and more.

But even with the best of efforts, it's seemingly becoming futile, as these kids are easily distratced today with smartphones and social media.

My parents told me, "Just let them live and learn, as we allowed you to live and learn."

But, I refuse to do so. We didn't have the resources they have today, when we were teenagers, so I demand that they take advantage of it, at least "my" children.

To make a long story short, I have three teenagers, who work and five nieces/nephews that work, but they blow money on nonsense and more.

My kids have all had student checking  accounts for years, and I convinced my five neices and nephews to do the same,.

So, one Saturday morning, I had accounts opened for my nieces and nephews and then we had everyone, my kids included apply for a BofA Student credit card, and they were all approved. 

To make a long story short, after talking to them for weeks or more about the importance of credit. Having each of them complete thorough research about credit, including the the credit building process, as well as read numerous message boards, including myFICO's message boards, they(my children, neices and nephews) continued to spend their hard-earned money on nonsense.

Even, worse, when they had the option to use their credit cards for said purchases, they use their BofA debit card instead? 

Unless, I'm literally in the store with them, and forcing them to use their credit cards, they use debit or cash.

They are all responsible, so I didn't micro-manage them, as none of their checking  accounts have been over-drawn or anything like that, nor have they went over their credit limits, not even close.

I'm speaking in retrospect to consistency, and because they all live either with me(my kids) or their parents, and have no responsibilities, like most teenagers they blow money, which is an oxymoron.

So, as of today, this is where we are: 

They have all given "ME" their credit cards, including my neices and nephews. So, I collectively have eight student credit cards(my three children/five neices and nephews) in a small wallet my a safe in my house.  

It's "I" who make eight separate small purchases per month, using each of their cards, to stave off inactivity, then I tell them to transfer ffunds from their checking accounts to cover the small monthly charges, before the due date of course. I usually purchase something small for my mom, their grandmother and they are good with it.

I know they trust thir father/uncle, but this is something "they" should be doing, but I was told, "I'd rather, you keep the cards and do it, since I'm occupied with school/work and I don't want temptation to get the best of me."

But, I see them with new clothes and shoes, and ask, how did you pay for that and collectively, I get, "My debit card."

I'm starting to pull out whatever hair, I have remaining!

You just spent $200 on an outfit, with your DEBIT CARD?

You should've used your credit card, then waited a day or two and simply transfered the money out of your checking and obtained those points!

I said, all that to ask this: What should I do?

I want them to continue to build credit, but they are not taking advantage of their credit, like they do debit and cash. Besides, out side of a couple of purchases, who still uses cash?

Any suggestions?

Teach them finance and saving instead of credit and (not) spending. When they see a tangible benefit from saving and delayed gratification, that positive will motivate them to increase the positive (more saving, more wealth growth). To use a cliche, it's better to lead with the carrot than it is with the stick.

If they pick up finance, the credit part will take care of itself.

Message 13 of 23
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Your teenage relations have already learned a very valuable lesson:  don't spend money you don't have. People who haven't learned this invariably get in financial trouble.  Using debit cards, though not the optimal strategy, instills and reinforces this lesson, so on the whole this is a good thing. 

@iced is correct -- you should teach them about finance and not just credit. Since the teenagers seem willing to submit to your arm-twisting, you should tell them to read William J Bernstein's free no-nonsense advice from a very successful adviser on how to get rich (at only 16 pages, it's well worth the time):  If You Can, How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

The link above takes you to a downloadable pdf version. You can also get it on Amazon for $1.99. 

By the way, I commend your desire to teach your young relatives.  Have you considered talking openly about some of your financial moves -- asking them how they split their money between savings and spending, and talking about how you do it; stock you're interested in buying, asking them what companies they would like to invest in if they had the money.  Your kids are old enough to sit in on your meetings with your financial advisor and estate planner or at least the parts where they're involved (i.e. how their trusts and custodial accounts are invested). 

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They see what I have done and are doing.

I just had my cousin's daugther pull her credi for the first time via annualcreditreport.com and her credit score is 622, two post-paid cell phone account are showing it good standing on her account.

She wants to learn more about credi and has taken the necessary steps. As of right now, I've instructed her to watch a ton of YuTube videos and read messageboards like this.

With that said, I will be take her to Bank of America to apply for the Bank of America Cash Back Platinum Puls Student Visa, if not approved then, the secured version. Then, she'd get the Discover it and the Capital One Platinum and maybe a Self(Sef Lender) and then sit on them for eaxactly 12-15 months.

The others are also coming along, sadly, I can thank isolation from COVID-19 for that.

I just want them all to use their credit cards like debit cards, manage their credit exceptionally and without a ton of effort could all be in the low 700s, pending, I can talk them out of obtaining a car payment and just buy a clunker for now.

Car loan, cell phone countrats and furniture companies are their bigest threats, because they are coming after them each really hard.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just had my cousin's daugther pull her credi for the first time via annualcreditreport.com and her credit score is 622, two post-paid cell phone account are showing it good standing on her account.

She wants to learn more about credi and has taken the necessary steps. As of right now, I've instructed her to watch a ton of YuTube videos and read messageboards like this.

With that said, I will be take her to Bank of America to apply for the Bank of America Cash Back Platinum Puls Student Visa, if not approved then, the secured version. Then, she'd get the Discover it and the Capital One Platinum and maybe a Self(Sef Lender) and then sit on them for eaxactly 12-15 months.

The others are also coming along, sadly, I can thank isolation from COVID-19 for that.

I just want them all to use their credit cards like debit cards, manage their credit exceptionally and without a ton of effort could all be in the low 700s, pending, I can talk them out of obtaining a car payment and just buy a clunker for now.

Car loan, cell phone countrats and furniture companies are their bigest threats, because they are coming after them each really hard.

AnnualCreditReport.com does not provide credit scores.  And even if it did, 622 is a deep sub-prime score as measured on the FICO 8 scale.

Message 16 of 23
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AnnualCreditReport.com does not provide credit scores.  And even if it did, 622 is a deep sub-prime score as measured on the FICO 8 scale.

I believe when I pulled mine a couple of days ago it asked if I wanted  to purchase separately a VS score....hopefully others will know which version, I will be able to check next week.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know, she just used the main site, aswered a few security/identity-theft questions and she was in.

I just had credit limit increased on three cards in th last week and I have been offered two more unsecured cards, but, I haven't had a hard pull since Jaunary 4th and if I maintain what I'm doing by December my FICO is project to in the mid 700's, which isn't great, but it's part of my journey.

Plus, I am doing everything possible to garden, let these inquiries fall off, of which twelze will fall off next month and get into Chase's ecosystem, then AMEX and get a foundation of 5 to 8 cards and let them age for about two years.

That's my goal.

Until I'm there, then I will put business credit on hold, until I'm able to get proper funding and leverage my credit like I want to.

Message 18 of 23
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know, she just used the main site, aswered a few security/identity-theft questions and she was in.

I just had credit limit increased on three cards in th last week and I have been offered two more unsecured cards, but, I haven't had a hard pull since Jaunary 4th and if I maintain what I'm doing by December my FICO is project to in the mid 700's, which isn't great, but it's part of my journey.

Plus, I am doing everything possible to garden, let these inquiries fall off, of which twelze will fall off next month and get into Chase's ecosystem, then AMEX and get a foundation of 5 to 8 cards and let them age for about two years.

That's my goal.

Until I'm there, then I will put business credit on hold, until I'm able to get proper funding and leverage my credit like I want to.

I just found this, free score from annualcreditreport.com-  

Get your free
credit score

A free monthly credit score
is available with Equifax Core Credit™.
No credit card required.

Also, congrats with 12 hps coming off report  soon, good  luck with Chase.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are on the right track.  I feel like I was turning blue everytime I spoke with my oldest who is grown now and my youngest seems to be taking notes.  It may have helped both parents have two different trains of thought.  One is you either have it or your don't, so save and get it when you have the funds and your livelyhood will not be impacted.  The other is the same way but understands the freedom credit provides.

I believe as you continue it may get better but as you said our generation was radically different than todays young ones.  Immediate gratification is the name of the game these days.  How I was able to get my oldest to turn the corner was to teach the principles I know in a way he could understand with real life lessons where he could participate, ask questions and learn as I presented things and as I grow I bring them along with me.

Sometimes its in our approach vs the content.  More flys with honey than with vingear.

I think like you they need this and I am the one who is going to give it to them no matter what.  However, we should be mindful while teaching there circumstances while simular are not exactly like ours.  For me I grew up poor that is not the case with my crumb snatchers so most of my initial life lessons were based on my experiences and they could not relate so I had to look at them and there environment and adopt.  Now there is more acceptance and a willingness to learn.

Hope this sheds some light and keep in mind the words of community member are there own and myfico does not support, standby or condone there viewpoints.

dothey.jpg

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.