cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

called stupid for having joint account?!?!

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: called stupid for having joint account?!?!

As someone in the banking and accounting fields. I can tell you, it's only stupid if you're doing it incorrectly.

I have a joint account with my girlfriend which is specifically for rent and joint expenses.

Everything else is in our separate accounts.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 11 of 32
sccredit
Valued Contributor

My (now) wife and I started a joint account after we moved in together (shortly after getting engaged) and have had it that way since.  At the time we were two incomes, now it is just one and she is holding down the homefront.  She manages our finances, we go through it regularly and it works VERY well for us. 

More than anything it depends on your partner and whether or not it works.  Your seems to be working just fine, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say.

Message 12 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My husband and I joined accounts... or rather we maintained seperate accounts that are joint accounts now. Trust is the issue... its not a money issue.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 32
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
... Other than a mortgage ... except for a mortgage ...

But isn't the rest generally a drop in the financial bucket? I find this contrast interesting: 1. half of household couples up to the age of forty are underwater, 2. by law a creditor can close a joint account at the request of either spouse. It should noted that the card must be paid off before it can be closed, but how much can the spouse charge when you check the balance responsibly often?

Message 14 of 32
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Looks like it's working very good for you. My GF is very aware of her credit as well but mainly because we have different app spree dates, we do not have any joint accs yet.

I hope you guys can maintain all the trust you have in each other.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 15 of 32
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
My husband and I joined accounts... or rather we maintained seperate accounts that are joint accounts now. Trust is the issue... its not a money issue.

Ditto! +1000

Message 16 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

There isn't a wrong way to handle your finances (by this I mean joint or separate accounts)..For every (+) someone can show you a (-)... What's important is what works for you and your family 

Message 17 of 32
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The ways of doing it may look wide open from a distance, but once all the details have been laid bare, the only win for keeping finances separate may well be the ultimate separation and divorce. You never had a chance in the first place because your hearts aren't fully in it, and the self-reinforcing snowball merely speeds it up. The logistics alone is unbearable. When it works for some, it's because it's more of a business relationship than a companion relationship, and that's probably not what we are discussing. But if it is and other variations too, then let's include people that aren't grown up and able to trust each other and be accountable, people that childishly think they can do what they want because it's their money, people that can't say no to themselves and are not able to postpone gratification. These people aren't ready for a real relationship anyway, money or not. Emotional hangups and habits, if not direct addiction or codependency, hold them back, and they may be in serious need of help to restore freedom and trust. Wishing you a happy Sunday! Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 32
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Thanks, I think people that can hadle their finances understand. It really isnt a money issue at all... maybe I'd feel differently if she was a shopoholic, but it works for us and we enjoy it. Its easy to keep up with the bills and savings. I dont have to ask her for half of the bills and such. Plus, I make more money than she does, so I dont want her to see her account and stress about bills and her account balance being low etc. I make more money, I pay more bills, and it works.

My hope is that I can get my income to increase enough to where she doesnt have to work. Right now she works as just a convenience and to save up for our house, but I told her that if I can ever add on that extra 30k/yr. to my salary, she can quit and start a hobby haha.

Thanks for all of the input, guys!!!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 19 of 32
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Best of luck to you.  And if that hobby happens to make money, even better!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.