cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ex gf owes me money. How do I get it back?

tag
Fox342
New Contributor

Re: ex gf owes me money. How do I get it back?

I agree with the above poster.  You can take her to court if it bothers you that much...and depending on how much it is and what your financial situation is.  If she admits in court that it was a loan then you'll probably win.  Small claims court is usually only $50 or so...so it might be worth the gamble.  From what you've said in your posts...it sounds like court or write it off are your only options.  Oh, and if you do decide to take her to court...have the papers served on her in public at your school in front of her friends...embarrassment is a powerful thing.

In college I had to take a former roommate to small claims court, I won...and another one I had to call his father after he hadn't paid me back in over a year...he paid up right after that!  hahaha. So I've successfully used two methods that have been suggested in this thread.  Oh wait, I've used three...I've loaned money and not gotten paid back...so I just wrote it off...but it wasn't much money.  

Good luck!

Fox

"The borrower is slave to the lender."
(EQ: 820) (TU: 827) (EX: 815)
Message 21 of 28
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

I've been here before. Forget about it. If she lied to get it or led you on, it'll come back on her.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

this sucks. Maybe threathen her with legal action even if it's empty threat
Message 23 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
this sucks. Maybe threathen her with legal action even if it's empty threat

One should never make a threat that they dont intend on backing up. Making threats in cases like this rarely resolve anything and can lead to further agitation between the parties involved, I would just chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Message 24 of 28
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I recently let a relative borrow some money and now she ignores me when I contact her to remind her to start repaying me. I'll take the situation as far as I have to and will become worst than a collection agency. They have hundreds/thousands of people to chase for money. I just have one so I can make it a hobby.  I'll garnish her wages if I have to. This info might help you -

http://www.debt.org/garnishment-process/

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 25 of 28
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

LOL, but I would think #1 = #2

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh. Lending people you care for money is bound to happen eventually. i never chase money. If I ever lend money, I'm just assuming I'll never get it back, that it's a gift I'm helping someone out. 2k isn't that bad, maybe it's enough to keep her out of your life for good? It could be worse. 

People have suppressed me in paying me back though, and it was basically a gift to me exhaust ineverexpected together it back.

Message 27 of 28
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@CarbonCard wrote:

Ok so my ex ended our relationship really bad and messed up.(after all the things i did and bought her... yay "first" love....)

So when we were still together, I lent her a decent amount of money.. Now that we're separated,

how can I get my money back? Like I tried to setup a lunch with her to discuss things and she

kept flaking.. I might see her in school this coming week, should I just wait til then?

Oh and I don't want to deal with court or something like that..

It is likely you don't.

Avoid guilt trips and pleading. Perhaps if her situation stabalizes and her finances improve she will pay you back out of respect/appreciation for you not hounding her. Pressing her will likely just create resentment with no positive outcome.

If you can survive without the money, write it off and move on - no strings attached.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.