cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my boyfriend wasn't really that happy for my success.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: my boyfriend wasn't really that happy for my success.

Looking at your sigs, you are doing very well. Please don't let ANYONE slow you down or hinder you. A love one should be supportive of you and your goals, if not...well you get the rest.

Keep up the stellar work!!

Message 31 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at your sigs, you are doing very well. Please don't let ANYONE slow you down or hinder you. A love one should be supportive of you and your goals, if not...well you get the rest.

Keep up the stellar work!!

Agreed...

Message 32 of 36
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Op sounds like your boyfriend is someone who is jealous of your now sucess. There is no reason why your boyfriend cannot get a job. It seems he want a  free ride and now use your 2 credit cards. Have him pay his own bills, you are not his mother. I would seriously think about this relationship and move on in life. "Enough is Enough" he will not change!! Sorry....

Message 33 of 36
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

we have been together for about 13 years. we are happy-ish.

a little history about us. at 18, he had amazing credit, because his mom would fill out his bills for him and mail them. at 18, i had a struggling single mom who put her bills in the junk drawer. he kinda looked down at me at the time, that i was so irresonsible. he got great deals on car loans, bragged about the loan agent praising a young person for having such high credit that he has ever seen. meanwhile, i couldn't even get approved for a measly retail card. 

currently, i work really hard, have a crazy long communte into the city for the job. i'm exhausted all the time, i've been doing this routine for about 6 years now. we moved away from the city to lower our living costs so i could help my mom, and him go into the university that he wanted. so my take is that i have invested in his success as well with my time and sanity. he graduated almost two years ago and barely even looks for a post grad job. he isn't making his student loan payments. he is self-diagnosing-depressed, and the status quoue has been that i be really understanding and pat him on the head for having it so rough looking for his first job in a bad economy. 

but he hasn't really. i am the one who has been having it rough, i was a freelancer through the entire recession and part of my job was inhearently to look for my next job continueosly. WHILE getting my moms house out of backed taxes forclosure. i'm sick of being the good girlfriend and being so supportive of failure...when he isn't trying. he isn't looking, he doesn't take my advice. EVER. he doesn't listen. he just gets defensive at the slightest comment. and listens to his mom about everything, she has never had a career or a well paying job...i love her to death, but he should listen to me. you know. or at the very least  be a man and take control.

i am the bread earner, i am the cook, the cleaner. the everything. last night i finally tell him i applied for AMEX and Discover and he starts shaking his head and gives me this comical look like we were back in 2001, like i got decliend or somehting again, like it was totally laughable. And I said no, I got approved, I'm waiting for them in the mail all excited like. And he instantly has this look of hurt, that I have surpassed him and says I can't even pay my student loans and your out there getting credit cards...i called him out on in, that i would expect him of all people that knows me and seen first hand where I've been and where I am now. Him of all people should be happy for me, irrigardless of hurt, jealousy or anything else he is feeling.

My sympathies for your situation. Unfortunately, I am not qualified to give you advice on path forward other than to suggest you both participate in some counciling regarding your relationship.

Regarding credit & charge cards, I have Discover and AMEX - top notch service from both and congratulations. Recommend you always PIF and never pay late. Its now time to build credit history with the new cards - no need for additional new credit.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a really old post, most of us have had credit fumbles in the past otherwise we wouldn't be here... Update, he has been really receptive to my help. We are getting his student loans back on track, plenty of more work to do though. We both made some nice financial acheivements this year, we both made the most we've ever made. So we've both been very busy in our work and becoming comfortable out of the recession. The recession hit us both pretty badly, him being a new grad and I had barely 3 years experience under my belt it's hard to get anyone to hire you 2008-2012. So ya, we both are doing really good right now. Thanks everyone

Message 35 of 36
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a really old post, most of us have had credit fumbles in the past otherwise we wouldn't be here... Update, he has been really receptive to my help. We are getting his student loans back on track, plenty of more work to do though. We both made some nice financial acheivements this year, we both made the most we've ever made. So we've both been very busy in our work and becoming comfortable out of the recession. The recession hit us both pretty badly, him being a new grad and I had barely 3 years experience under my belt it's hard to get anyone to hire you 2008-2012. So ya, we both are doing really good right now. Thanks everyone

Thank you for the update.  I've seen you post around the forum and never put together the person from this thread.  I am so happy that things are better for you and that your scores are looking so good. 

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but be sure to look at the student loan section.  I know that there's some sort of rehab that people do and after a year or two, the bad payments don't affect their FICO as much. 

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.