cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Authorized Account" question

tag
heartburn

"Authorized Account" question

I just checked my credit reports for the first time in over a decade. (I used to be the lead programmer on a credit decision engine, but it was a long time ago).

My wife and I were married in August of 1999. We were separated in August of 2008 because I got fed up with her spending habits. We are in the process of getting divorced now.

On my reports, there is a tradeline for a credit card that was opened 10 months after we were married, and "Settled—less than full balance" the month that we were separated. Under account holder, it says "Authorized Account." 

I didn't pledge my credit when my wife applied for this card. I wasn't aware that I was an authorized user. I was never informed that negative information was being placed on my credit report -- neither by my wife, nor by her creditor.

Am I stuck with this tradeline?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: "Authorized Account" question

If you are an authorized user, you can remove yourself from the account.   When that is done, it should delete the entire tradeline from your credit report.

Try the cc issuer first.  If there is no luck there, then dispute it (in writing) with the CRA as not yours/authorized user/unaware of the account.  

My suggestion is to keep a close watch on your credit report from here on out.

My suggestion is to "opt out" on with each CRA now.

My suggestion is put a "fraud alert" on with each CRA now.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IOBA wrote:

If you are an authorized user, you can remove yourself from the account.   When that is done, it should delete the entire tradeline from your credit report.

Try the cc issuer first.  If there is no luck there, then dispute it (in writing) with the CRA as not yours/authorized user/unaware of the account.  

My suggestion is to keep a close watch on your credit report from here on out.

My suggestion is to "opt out" on with each CRA now.

My suggestion is put a "fraud alert" on with each CRA now.

+1

Further, if you haven't done so already, now is the time to close any joint accounts and ensure that your wife is not an authorized user on any of your accounts unless you are comfortable bearing ultimate responsibility should things go sour.

In addition, there are times when even authorized users bear responsibility even though they are only a supplemental cardholder.  This is especially true with AmEx.  If you are an authorized user on any of your wife's accounts, you should try and immediately remove yourself.

There are also the effects of living in a community property state, if applicable, that you should go over with your attorney.  It would be sad to find that the bad financial habits you are trying to minimize come back and bite you in the rear still later.

Message 3 of 4
heartburn

Thanks guys!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.