Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i move?

tag
rebuilding88
New Contributor

should i move?

I'll ty and make this short.  I have a job paying 60K salery.  I live in a very small 1 bed 1 bath and garage apartment that cost me 750/month. After all bills are paid i'm talking evrything!! Im left with 1770/month. I found a duplex i can rent for 1450/month.  Bonus side it's a 2bed 15 year old daughter would have her own room and it's 2 bath 2 car garage. Bascily another whole apartment for 700 more a month.  After all bills are paid i'm left with 970/month.  Am i over thinking this? In this economey and just starting back to work after being laid off is this a smart move? I am also working on rebuilding my credit. Sorry it helps me to talk it out. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: should i move?

Yes. Your teenage daughter needs her own space.

Message 2 of 15
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I agree your daughter needs her own room.

Thats a big jump in rent though, I guess it depends on how secure your job is given the current state of these times?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 15
rebuilding88
New Contributor

As far as my job, I feel confident that my job is secured.  But there is never a guarantee because i am in the hotel industry,  Also I forgot to mention, coming back they cut manager saleries 20%.  I am hoping after Jan 1st my salery will go back up to 75K.

Message 4 of 15
ccquest
Established Contributor

I'd say it would definitely help and be beneficial for your daughter to get her own space and you'll still have money being saved every month. What sort of emergency fund do you have set up? If you have 6 months set aside there at the elevated rent cost, you're in a good place.

Especially if the salary goes back up to the 75k as that will just be bonus on top of what you already outlined.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

What kind of contract are you looking at for this duplex? Also, are you locked in with the place you live in now?  That might make me think twice...other than that, I'd already have my stuff packed and dropped off if I could get away with it. Sounds exciting and definitely sounds like time. Hope you and daughter are able to pull it off with an easy move, be safe.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 6 of 15
rebuilding88
New Contributor

I was able to sign a 6 month lease with the option of renewing to a year and as far as where I am. I gave a 30day notice but since i wont be able to move until Oct 09 I would still owe for that month. Other then that I am ok. Now if i just left I would be in breech of the lease.  

I did pull the trigger and signed the lease on the new place.  Still nervous, mainly because of the 800 more a month Smiley Happy  

Message 7 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@rebuilding88 wrote:

I was able to sign a 6 month lease with the option of renewing to a year and as far as where I am. I gave a 30day notice but since i wont be able to move until Oct 09 I would still owe for that month. Other then that I am ok. Now if i just left I would be in breech of the lease.  

I did pull the trigger and signed the lease on the new place.  Still nervous, mainly because of the 800 more a month Smiley Happy  

Congrats!  Happy for both you and daughter.  I bet she's thrilled!

Can you pay your rent with cc's?  Perhaps with a new cc that has a 0% promo for x amt of months just to help take the bite out of the sting until you get used to it?

Yay you!

Message 8 of 15
rebuilding88
New Contributor

I can't pay with cc. Simple fact I don't have any. I'm working on rebuilding my credit from some very bad choices. That's way it was a little hard decision to give up 800/month that could be used towards collections on my credit report. 

Message 9 of 15
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Gotcha, well it will come in time.  Just enjoy what you have, you work for a home, enjoy your home.  Hammer down on those collections, all you can do is all you can do.  You gotta provide, relax, and enjoy that daughter of yours.  You'll look back and be very glad you did.  Stick hard to a budget and you'll sleep at night.  You deserve and your dear daughter deserves this next step.

Once you get to where you can app for a card, look to the rebuild section and cc section and ask a hundred million questions before you do.  These peeps will help you to the best of their ability.  All it takes is one positive little step to start, and I'm sure you know all that but lots of ppl here to be a sounding board.

Anyway, have fun setting up your new home!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.