cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1000 Check... what would you do with it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $1000 Check... what would you do with it?

@Anonymous wrote:

What would you do with it?  

I am guessing since I owe back taxes I won't qualify, but I'd honestly be happy if they just took that off what I owed! 

Again....wishful thinking!

Otherwise I hope my allotment goes to someone that needs it more than I do. Same with my "husband", we aren't married and he has no income, so he won't see a dime. We aren't sad about it at all. I wish everyone the best and hope it helps those that really need it.

Message 61 of 71
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Right to savings. 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 62 of 71
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/trump-administration-senate-democrats-said-to-...

Looks like they passed the bill. $1200 per adult making under 75k a year. My question, is this EVERYONE? Or do we think people such as myself who are adults but still claimed by my dad on his taxes will not qualify

Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 63 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wrigley2172 wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/trump-administration-senate-democrats-said-to-...

Looks like they passed the bill. $1200 per adult making under 75k a year. My question, is this EVERYONE? Or do we think people such as myself who are adults but still claimed by my dad on his taxes will not qualify

This is just the senate part. It has to pass the house and certain reps there have made comments that they may object to unanimous consent based on the text of the bill which would draw this out even more and lead to more negotiations. 

As for eligibility... are you considered an adult dependent? Because if so, you wouldn't get a check. 

Message 64 of 71
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Yes im still cliamed as a dependent by my dad so no check for me, oh well. I know many people could use it more than I. Was just curious

Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 65 of 71
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

PhotoGrid_1585327017161.jpg

Message 66 of 71
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@Wrigley2172 wrote:

If your parents claim you,  you would fall under the $500 child credit.

No checks for our household but we would rather it go to those in need. 

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 67 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am guessing since I owe back taxes I won't qualify, but I'd honestly be happy if they just took that off what I owed! 

Otherwise I hope my allotment goes to someone that needs it more than I do. Same with my "husband", we aren't married and he has no income, so he won't see a dime. We aren't sad about it at all. I wish everyone the best and hope it helps those that really need it.

@Anonymous back taxes do not affect you receiving the check - they stated that owing back taxes and/or being behind on federal loans would not keep you from getting it. Apparently the only thing that'll keep you from getting a check you'd otherwise qualify for would be if you're in arrears on child support.

Message 68 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous back taxes do not affect you receiving the check - they stated that owing back taxes and/or being behind on federal loans would not keep you from getting it. Apparently the only thing that'll keep you from getting a check you'd otherwise qualify for would be if you're in arrears on child support.

I also have old ffel loans that are not included in the stimulus package that may garnish. So that is another consideration as if they are to keep those through offset. I know they aren't offsetting taxes right now for federal, state, or US ED loans, but that leaves the rest of the old FFEL loans through private companies in the cold and is somewhat of an unknown to me. I am working on getting them all into rehab now, especially with everything going on and the incentives, but 80% of my fed loans are through private companies, so they don't 'have' to follow those guidelines from what I can tell so far.

My SO is also a currently a dependent of mine, but for 2020 tax purposes will be a spouse, so I am uncertain if he will get a check next year for it or if it will just be some sort of tax reduction (like itemizing).

Too many questions right now that I don't have firm answers to.

Thank you for the feedback!

Edit: sorry, I have a couple things going on, so my reasoning is two fold. I am also going to file the past 3 years and set up a payment plan for some taxes owed from way back. I fear by doing so that these private companies that hold my student loans will offset those tax returns when I would much rather they go to my back taxes owed. That is why this is kind of a mess for me. Makes me hesitant to file at all until I get a clear picture of how these old FFEL will be handled.

Message 69 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

$1,000 check .......hmmmm im in the process of bankruptcy so I would probably do 1 of 2 things. 
1) Use it as a down payment on a car

2)If my dad helps me with my car search I will save it to ise for either plates or pay in full my car insurance. 

Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.