Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 Elite Status - How Did You Do?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

2023 Elite Status - How Did You Do?

I know there aren't a ton of us on this forum who chase airline and hotel status, but I was curious how everyone's experience was for the year that just ended?

For Delta, even without the continuous rollover since the start of the pandemic, I earned enough MQMs in 2022 that I would have still qualified for Platinum Medallion for this year thanks to the MQD waiver from Amex cards.  I ended up with 180,366 MQMs and rolled over 105,366 toward 2024 status so provided that there are no crazy changes to the MQD waiver for Platinum (like when it increased to $250k spending for Diamond Medallion a few years back), I should be safe for at least a couple of years. 

For 2022, Delta stated that Medallions who earned status were being prioritized for upgrades over those who carried it over, so there must be a real glut of Diamonds, some of whom may not have flown much at all since 2019.  2022 saw the least number of F upgrades for me since the year I got Gold Medallion.  I can choose Comfort+ at ticketing, so I was at least there on all but 1 Delta flight where I did a same-day change but I was astonished how many times I'd end up at like 26 of 55 on the F upgrade list.  Excluding partner flights and those where I bought F, J (thanks Air France!), or Premium Select anyway, I ended up getting F upgrades only 39% of the time.  Not really complaining (it's nice when it happens), but the previous couple of years it was happening nearly every flight.  But it'll be interesting to see what happens after the end of the January, when in theory there could be quite a lot of DMs and PMs moving down the ladder after not requalifying for 2023.

For Marriott, I skimmed by with 86 nights to keep Titanium Elite status.  I say skimmed because I would have cut it close and possibly fallen back to Platinum had Marriott not decided to retroactively give more elite night credits for holders of the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card and also had a short promo for bonus elite night credits earlier in the year where I was able to grab a handful.  I also managed to hit the nights needed to move up from Lifetime Silver to Lifetime Gold, now just need a few more years to hit the required years for Lifetime Platinum.  (I was a late bloomer in loyalty.)  Since I kept Titanium for 2023, I also kept United Silver which I have yet to use on United or any other Star Alliance partner.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2023 Elite Status - How Did You Do?

@K-in-Boston

Grats on keeping in the mix!

Glad there is still a rewards process for travel ... The last few years sure have challenged the traveler!

Kudos for bringing us back to the real world of travel Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 10
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks for the update.

This was my first year with Delta, thanks to a business AMEX.  I managed to get to Gold last year so I'm set for 2023.  I don't fly enough to get much higher I don't think.  Even if I get to Platinum, I still find myself (at least today) with well over 20 people ahead of me for all my upgrades this past year.  

I hit Titantium Elite with Marriott.  I have Lifetime Platinum Elite so the few extra points for Titanium are nice though I haven't seen any other benefits come my way.  Upgrades are still hard to get as I am typically told an upgrade is not available for entire duration of my stay.  Smiley Sad

I also hit A List Preferred again with SouthWest...thankfully, I wasn't on a plane around the holidays.

Message 3 of 10
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Let my Marriott titatinum slip by two days. Cancelled the personal card.  I'm not just not traveling as much anymore, and I just don't get value and i often don't get my late checkout requests.

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 4 of 10
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

My work travel declined significantly last year, so I took a hit in the status department. Dropped from Platinum to Gold (had plenty of MQMs, but short on spend) with Delta. 

Would be dropping from Titanium to Gold with Marriott, but I read somewhere that they are giving all elites a soft landing, which means I'll still have Platinum for this year. 

We travel fairly frequently for fun, but without work travel, I expect another drop-off this year so I am likely done focusing on one brand/status for now. 

Message 5 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@IntegerIntrovert wrote:

Let my Marriott titatinum slip by two days. Cancelled the personal card.  I'm not just not traveling as much anymore, and I just don't get value and i often don't get my late checkout requests.

For Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador, 4 PM checkout is a "right" and not a "privilege," except for resort properties.  It's flaunted as one of the perks.  I've never had that declined.  (Gold is 2 PM subject to availability and Silver is like the lottery.)

Message 6 of 10
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

I thought it was a right also... but alas I'm not going to make a federal case about it.

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 7 of 10
iced
Valued Contributor

I only had one work flight last year, so I've been basically holding status from personal flights since 2020. That said, I earned just over 41k MQM (Delta) last year for lolsilver, helped significantly by flying F almost exclusively for personal and getting the multiplier for that. Had I not used UA miles for my J flight to the UK last year, I might have made Gold. With all the F flying though, having status hasn't really mattered anymore.

For Marriott, held Platinum Elite and am now 25 nights away from Lifetime Gold. I'm admittedly a latecomer in that I only switched to Marriott from Hilton in 2015.

As for late checkout, I've never had a problem with late checkout though I've def seen it as a privilege and not a right. I also pretty much only stay at luxury properties where even things like lounges or free breakfast aren't honored, so the fact they give me late checkout when I need is much appreciated.

Message 8 of 10
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

Ended up just making 1K on United by about 40 PQPs(including 500 bonus for spening $12k on UA Club Card). Hit 36 PQFs exactly. I will very likely fall down to Gold for next year. Will hit Silver no problem though. Moving from SF-> Oakland makes it hard to justify flying out of SFO when most of our flights are down to L.A. Will consider matching status with AA/DL/WN before the year is out, AA being least likely.

Marriott had 78 nights so keeping Titanium again there. Depending on if I decide to keep the Brilliant and not downgrade if I retain Platinum for 2024. 

Hilton Gold from AmEx Plat and IHG Platinum from United Club CC. 

Message 9 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

In 2021, I was on a plane just about every week or every other week, but in 2022, flying went down about 90%. As a result, I lost United and Jetblue status. On the not-so-negative side, we moved to a different state and now we don't fly either airline much.

My goal was to re-qualify for Hyatt Globalist, which I barely did by doing a 5-night mattress run at the end of the year. Luckily, the local Hyatt Place I used was only charging 3,500 per night, so I basically traded 17,500 points for another year of Globalist. Just getting a free night award at any 1-7 Category hotel got me those points back and then some. This year, I'm already saving about $2k in free breakfast between a recent stay and another coming up in a month, and around $700 in free parking.

Other goal was to keep AA status at Platinum level at least. I use AA for most personal/family trips, so Platinum is perfect just to get Main Cabin Extra seats at booking. It's impossible to get an entire family upgraded to business/first, so I don't even try beyond Platinum. I have another month for the status year to end since AA changed the program, and I could hit Platinum Pro on CC spend, but the incremental benefits aren't really worth it to me. For next year's status, I could also get the rest of the way to Exec Platinum on CC spend, but it doesn't seem necessary for my/our needs.

Keeping Hyatt Globalist and AA Platinum were the main priorities.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.