cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Credit Cards for the rest of your life

Dinosaur
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 3 Credit Cards for the rest of your life

Based on spend patterns today: Elan Max Cash Preferred Visa, FNBO Visa (similar to Evergreen Visa) and Citi Custom Cash MC.

In the event I should return to traveling the Chase Sapphire Reserve Infinite Visa has a good program.
Starting Score: 850
Current Score: 831 EX 834 EQ 806 TU
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 43
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@fantic wrote:

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

If I absolutely had to keep it to three:

• Discover It because of 5% rotating categories that are generally useful
  • USB Altitude Go because dining and streaming bonus points
  • Amex cash magnet because it's one of my oldest accounts, I love the design, and I don't mind 1.5% cash back

But I had to think about whether Amex should really get that third spot; I would also like to keep one of the Chase United cards, probably the Explorer, because miles. But ultimately, cash back, even as a statement credit, has more immediate gratification, so Amex gets the last slot.

Magnet, luv the design. Why do u have 2 United, Gateway for commuting? Explorer has primary collision insurance

Gateway for miles on gas and commuting, Explorer for miles on flights and dining (it's the only card I use when I'm traveling, and I'm near a United hub so it's my preferred airline).

>>
American Express Cash Magnet (formerly Blue): $16,000 ~ Capital One Quicksilver: $3,500 ~ PNC Core: $24,000 ~ Comenity Ultamate Rewards Mastercard: $12,700 ~ Discover It: $21,000 ~ Citi Shop Your Way Mastercard: $8,000 ~ Capital One Venture One: $15,000 ~ Chase United MileagePlus Explorer: $14,600 ~ U.S. Bank Altitude Go: $2,000 ~ Chase United MileagePlus Gateway: $4,000

Message 42 of 43
fantic
Frequent Contributor

@fantic wrote:

If I absolutely had to keep it to three:

• Discover It because of 5% rotating categories that are generally useful
  • USB Altitude Go because dining and streaming bonus points
  • Amex cash magnet because it's one of my oldest accounts, I love the design, and I don't mind 1.5% cash back

But I had to think about whether Amex should really get that third spot; I would also like to keep one of the Chase United cards, probably the Explorer, because miles. But ultimately, cash back, even as a statement credit, has more immediate gratification, so Amex gets the last slot.

Magnet, luv the design. Why do u have 2 United, Gateway for commuting? Explorer has primary collision insurance

Gateway for miles on gas and commuting, Explorer for miles on flights and dining (it's the only card I use when I'm traveling, and I'm near a United hub so it's my preferred airline).

Thx. Wonder if one can combine/move miles between them. Gateway better than Citi AA no fee one, in that it doesn't have FTF(I usually take AA though, from LAX)

Apr/21 CO Plat. SC(500->700), Aug; CITI DC(1000->1500), Sep; CFF(500), Oct; Amazon store card(2100->4000), CITI Best Buy store card(2000), Nov; Tomo(2000->3000), Jan/22; CO SO(2000), Feb/22; Disco It CB(3000)
FICO8 EX 721 EQ 722 TU 738 util 2%(of 16700)
AAoA 9m AoOA 1y4m AoYA 6m Cards 0/6 7/12 8/24 Inq EX 0/6 22/12 EQ 0/6 3/12 TU 0/6 5/12
Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.