Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Credit Cards for the rest of your life

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: 3 Credit Cards for the rest of your life

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

If you had to choose and use only 3 credit cards you currently own for the rest of time, what 3 would you select and why?

I will kick this off:

Amex Platinum - the travel perks fit my life 

Blue Cash Every Day - No AF gas and groceries

NFCU Visa - My largest limit and have had opened the longest (35K - 8 years and running)

I'll just keep my 3 oldest cards. Too much history to change now.

1) AMEX from 1984

2) Discover from 1989

3) AT&T Universal Mastercard from 1990

Other cards have come and gone.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 11 of 47
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:
I'll just keep my 3 oldest cards. Too much history to change now.

1) AMEX from 1984

2) Discover from 1989

3) AT&T Universal Mastercard from 1990

Other cards have come and gone.

That is probably the wisest answer.  I would like to change my response to reflect this strategy.  Rewards and perks are nice, but nothing can replace time.

My 3 cards to keep in order of age:

- Chase Freedom Visa (5% rotator)

- Discover It (5% rotator)

- Amex Everyday Preferred (4.5 points grocery, 3 points gas, 1.5 points misc categories plus grocery beyond the $6k cap)

This is actually a pretty good outcome for rewards.  It even meets my criteria for 3 financial institutions and 3 payment networks.  If product changes are allowed, I would switch the Freedom to a Freedom Flex to add 3% categories for drugstore and dining.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 12 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, absolutely. You can't go wrong with choosing to keep the oldest three cards. Clever.

Message 13 of 47
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Gold - Already EDC this. Fits my lifestyle, plus I enjoy accumulating MR points.

Citi Costco - Already EDC this. Shop here weekly.

BECU Cash Back- They're local to me.  Makes the most sense.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 14 of 47
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

I only have 3 cards. Guess that means I might as well put some effort into getting Cap1 to increase my CL.

Message 15 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFF:

Earn 5% cash back on gas station purchases on up to $6,000 spent in the first year(I'm groceries)

Earn 5% cash back in quarterly bonus categories:
Earn 5% cash back on different categories like gas stations, grocery stores (excluding Target® and Walmart®) and select online merchants on up to $1,500 in total combined purchases each quarter you activate.

Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Earn 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services.

Earn 3% on drugstore purchases.

Citi DC

Disco It CB

Message 16 of 47
Trini88
Established Contributor

Amex BCP for Gas,Groceries,Subscriptions

Apple for 2% everything plus 3% bonus categories 

Discover for rotating categories 

Goal Cards:
Message 17 of 47
cws-21
Established Contributor

I, also, would not be happy to cut to only three credit cards because I would be leaving money on the table. However, I would keep the following, purely based on the cash back they yield, if I had no choice.

1. Affinity Cash Rewards Visa Signature: 5% cash back at Amazon, Hi5 rotating categories, and no foreign transaction Visa
  2. Citi Custom Cash Card: 5% cash back on whatever is not a Hi5 category for the quarter (groceries, dining, or gas)
  3. AOD Visa Signature Credit Card: 3% cash back on everything else, low APR, and no foreign transaction Visa
Message 18 of 47
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@cws-21 wrote:

I, also, would not be happy to cut to only three credit cards because I would be leaving money on the table. However, I would keep the following, purely based on the cash back they yield, if I had no choice.

1. Affinity Cash Rewards Visa Signature: 5% cash back at Amazon, Hi5 rotating categories, and no foreign transaction Visa
  2. Citi Custom Cash Card: 5% cash back on whatever is not a Hi5 category for the quarter (groceries, dining, or gas)
  3. AOD Visa Signature Credit Card: 3% cash back on everything else, low APR, and no foreign transaction Visa

Excellent selection.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 19 of 47
cws-21
Established Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@cws-21 wrote:

Excellent selection.  

Thanks. I still prefer my seven card setup, but I probably could live with these three.

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.