Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Credit Cards for the rest of your life

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 Credit Cards for the rest of your life

Based on spend patterns today: Elan Max Cash Preferred Visa, FNBO Visa (similar to Evergreen Visa) and Citi Custom Cash MC.

In the event I should return to traveling the Chase Sapphire Reserve Infinite Visa has a good program.
Message 41 of 47
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

If I absolutely had to keep it to three:

• Discover It because of 5% rotating categories that are generally useful
  • USB Altitude Go because dining and streaming bonus points
  • Amex cash magnet because it's one of my oldest accounts, I love the design, and I don't mind 1.5% cash back

But I had to think about whether Amex should really get that third spot; I would also like to keep one of the Chase United cards, probably the Explorer, because miles. But ultimately, cash back, even as a statement credit, has more immediate gratification, so Amex gets the last slot.

Magnet, luv the design. Why do u have 2 United, Gateway for commuting? Explorer has primary collision insurance

Gateway for miles on gas and commuting, Explorer for miles on flights and dining (it's the only card I use when I'm traveling, and I'm near a United hub so it's my preferred airline).

Message 42 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I absolutely had to keep it to three:

• Discover It because of 5% rotating categories that are generally useful
  • USB Altitude Go because dining and streaming bonus points
  • Amex cash magnet because it's one of my oldest accounts, I love the design, and I don't mind 1.5% cash back

But I had to think about whether Amex should really get that third spot; I would also like to keep one of the Chase United cards, probably the Explorer, because miles. But ultimately, cash back, even as a statement credit, has more immediate gratification, so Amex gets the last slot.

Magnet, luv the design. Why do u have 2 United, Gateway for commuting? Explorer has primary collision insurance

Gateway for miles on gas and commuting, Explorer for miles on flights and dining (it's the only card I use when I'm traveling, and I'm near a United hub so it's my preferred airline).

Thx. Wonder if one can combine/move miles between them. Gateway better than Citi AA no fee one, in that it doesn't have FTF(I usually take AA though, from LAX)

Message 43 of 47
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone!  Smiley Happy  Sorry I'm a little late to the party here (been working extremely long hours at the office for many months now and so didn't have a chance to see this thread when it originally came out), but it piqued my interest and so I thought I'd respond with my hypothetical 3-card lineup, if I were potentially able to retain no others:

(1)  BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F go-to APR for purchases and BT, 1% cashback on all purchases, plus no BT or cash advance fees (iirc)

(2)  AOD FCU VISA:  7.49% F go-to APR for purchases and BT, 3% cashback on all purchases

(3)  BOA CCR WMC:  9.99% F go-to APR for purchases, 3.3% capped cashback on all purchases in one selectable category (currently set to online shopping)

Message 44 of 47
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Hi everyone!  Smiley Happy  Sorry I'm a little late to the party here (been working extremely long hours at the office for many months now and so didn't have a chance to see this thread when it originally came out), but it piqued my interest and so I thought I'd respond with my hypothetical 3-card lineup, if I were potentially able to retain no others:

(1)  BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F go-to APR for purchases and BT, 1% cashback on all purchases, plus no BT or cash advance fees (iirc)

(2)  AOD FCU VISA:  7.49% F go-to APR for purchases and BT, 3% cashback on all purchases

(3)  BOA CCR WMC:  9.99% F go-to APR for purchases, 3.3% capped cashback on all purchases in one selectable category (currently set to online shopping)

Good selections g15 but, in my humble opinion, APRs and CB rewards should never me mentioned in the same breathe.  You carry a balance just once on a CB card and, basically, there goes your CB.    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 45 of 47
isik
Regular Contributor

Amex BCP - Great grocery cashback and some other benefits I like, annual fee more than worth it

BofA CCR - 3% online category. Plus my highest limit.

Discover it - Because the other card I have is worse, I'd prefer the Amazon Chase instead which is my next goal.

Personal:

Business:

FICO 8:
Message 46 of 47
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Good selections g15 but, in my humble opinion, APRs and CB rewards should never me mentioned in the same breathe.  You carry a balance just once on a CB card and, basically, there goes your CB.    

Thanks for your comments and feedback @ptatohed and I agree, you are technically correct that cashback is wiped out when a person carries a balance on a cashback card.  However, the point that I would also emphasize is that cashback rewards can also offset the finance charges of the total, nominal go-to interest rate, by the amount of the cashback rewards percentage, etc.

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.