Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$4 a gallon gas arrives in Seattle--Next stop $5

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: $4 a gallon gas arrives in Seattle--Next stop $5

@Anonymous wrote:
i saw 4.03 in CT--3.69 in MA and 3.78 in NH all in 1 day.

Yep, I just paid $4.05/gallon in CT, my first ever purchase at over $4/gallon. In a typical week I'll drive around 200 miles (15 miles each way commuting five days, plus whatever we do on the weekend) in a Camry that gets around 26 MPG. Glad it's not some monster SUV, but some time in 2009 I may get me a hybrid...
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, there's no end in sight for high oil prices...things are liable to get worse, perhaps much worse, before all is said and done. But that's not all.

Witness the possible end of large-scale civilian aviation:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-mon-airlines-fuel-survivemay19,0,4883439.story?page=1

In era of record food prices, farmers are having difficulty shipping their crops to world market:
http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/945503.html

Unless someone, somewhere comes up with a replacement mass energy source for fossil fuels (so far none is even in development, let alone anywhere near market-ready), we're looking at some very profound changes in our lifestyle--and not many years or decades "out there" somewhere. We're looking at profound changes within the next 6 to 24 months.

For starters, if you plan on going anywhere by plane this summer, you can expect to pay around 20 to 30% more than last year. This Christmas, expect to pay about 50% more than last Christmas.

To make a long story short, life is about to get a lot more local.
Message 12 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately, there's no end in sight for high oil prices...things are liable to get worse, perhaps much worse, before all is said and done. But that's not all.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-mon-airlines-fuel-survivemay19,0,4883439.story?page=1

In era of record food prices, farmers are having difficulty shipping their crops to world market:

Unless someone, somewhere comes up with a replacement mass energy source for fossil fuels (so far none is even in development, let alone anywhere near market-ready), we're looking at some very profound changes in our lifestyle--and not many years or decades "out there" somewhere. We're looking at profound changes within the next 6 to 24 months.

For starters, if you plan on going anywhere by plane this summer, you can expect to pay around 20 to 30% more than last year. This Christmas, expect to pay about 50% more than last Christmas.

I saw this coming 30 years ago, and actually started engineering school with the intention of going into solar energy. I quickly learned however that the political will to invest in solar energy came and went too quickly for that to be a viable career path for me, so I went in other directions. But if I were a young person starting out today, I might see a very very different world than I saw 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, as Al Gore also learned, being right about the science does not confer the institutional power to make people face the truth when they find that truth to be inconvenient. Say what you will about Al Gore, on the issues of energy and global warming he can scarcely be accused of short-term opportunism: he has consistently spoken about these issues for decades and often paid a price for sticking to them.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

MattH wrote:

as Al Gore also learned, being right about the science does not confer the institutional power to make people face the truth when they find that truth to be inconvenient.

My only quarrel with Gore, from "An Inconvenient Truth", he places gold in a balance against the Earth. I think the comparison is counterproductive as naysayers will retort, "Well, if any action we take to offset this is gonna ruin the economy anyway, no sense in facing up to it."

I think we can use tax incentives to produce significant changes, and very quickly.

Message 14 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw this coming 30 years ago, and actually started engineering school with the intention of going into solar energy. I quickly learned however that the political will to invest in solar energy came and went too quickly for that to be a viable career path for me, so I went in other directions. But if I were a young person starting out today, I might see a very very different world than I saw 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, as Al Gore also learned, being right about the science does not confer the institutional power to make people face the truth when they find that truth to be inconvenient. Say what you will about Al Gore, on the issues of energy and global warming he can scarcely be accused of short-term opportunism: he has consistently spoken about these issues for decades and often paid a price for sticking to them.

Gas price continues going up, politicians grandstand, gonna be a looooong summer...
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

its 4.50 in CT now and 4.07 in NH
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Until we as citizens start geting on congress butts loud and strong to do something about the speclators on the oil futures markets gas prices will continue to spiral upwards. they congress has to stop all of their partisans b/s and start thinking about us the people,instead of their own butts.

Message Edited by wileygo on 06-12-2008 01:10 PM
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Until we as citizens start geting on congress butts loud and strong to do something about the speclators on the oil futures markets gas prices will continue to spiral upwards. they congress has to stop all of their partisans b/s and start thinking about us the people,instead of their own butts.

Reining in speculators will help, but it won't solve the basic problem, which is more and more people chasing less and less oil. That's not going to go anywhere.
Message 18 of 30
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Reining in speculators will help, but it won't solve the basic problem, which is more and more people chasing less and less oil. That's not going to go anywhere.

Guys, there are just as many speculators on the other side of the deal, going short (hoping that prices will go down). It's balanced. Heck, I wish I was in the position to go long on a few contracts Jan 2007.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When I was complaining to North West Airlines about the price of tickets I was told it is to compensate for the price of gas. Filling up my truck is one thing, filling an airplane is entirely different.
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.