Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/27/20 LAX->CDG: Pipe Dream?

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

8/27/20 LAX->CDG: Pipe Dream?

Hi,

I been flip-flopping around about this trip.  Chase portal is 82,594 pts for 2 R/T LAX-CDG main cabin on DL 777-200 - departs 8/27 return 10/5.  france, switzerland & italy in a leased Peugeot 308.  I have taken a trip about this time of year for the past 3 decades.  kind of switched from a AF A380 because I like it so much.  more than enough leg room and decent food.

DLs allows one change and travel must commence by 2/28/2021 - when they made this change I thought why not.  34 day brand new 308 lease is $1150, it was over $1600 for 31 days 6 months ago.

Anyhow, do you think i am in a dream world or do you think it might happen is the question.  I know, a lot of variables...just wondered where folks on the board were at with future travel, I know i cannot be alone.  have until tomorrow at 6p pst to cancel.  not a lot of points in any event but am curious to any thoughts on the matter

Thx, stay healthy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: 8/27/20 LAX->CDG: Pipe Dream?

Italy and Switzerland are #1 and #2 as far as per capita infection rates nationwide.

I'd only book things that are refundable, or so cheap you would be willing to lose the money if things remain very bad.

My future travel plans are just within California, so I can drive or reschedule as appropriate.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Italy and Switzerland are #1 and #2 as far as per capita infection rates nationwide.

I'd only book things that are refundable, or so cheap you would be willing to lose the money if things remain very bad.

My future travel plans are just within California, so I can drive or reschedule as appropriate.

thx, #1 & #2 now, my question is predictions for 164 days from now.  ~82K for 2 is cheap enough to burn

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is some interesting photography about what popular spots around the world are like now. So that's something to consider. Like even if you can go, will you have fun? Places closed, or limited hours, limited services etc.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really difficult to gauge where things will be from now until the end of August. However, like above post states, you should get refundable tickets/insurance if possible.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I postponed my April JFK-->CDG flight to New Year's and I'm still not sure how I'll feel about going then.

Message 6 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I postponed my April JFK-->CDG flight to New Year's and I'm still not sure how I'll feel about going then.

if you are allowed to go I can tell you how you will feel...totally frozen.  a slight wind whipping up from the seine gives all new meaning to weather in the 30s.  I would not go then if the ride was free but then again I am mr 72 in socal.  I think I am just going to go through with the purchase, 82k for 2 is a decent deal and if I can still use it in the spring I am good with it

Message 7 of 14
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

I flew yesterday. Both flights were probably 80% capacity. I had a layover in MSP and I was actually surprised by how busy it still was there. I know this doesn't pertain to OPs  post specifically, but just a current experience to share. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

if you are allowed to go I can tell you how you will feel...totally frozen.  a slight wind whipping up from the seine gives all new meaning to weather in the 30s.  I would not go then if the ride was free but then again I am mr 72 in socal.  I think I am just going to go through with the purchase, 82k for 2 is a decent deal and if I can still use it in the spring I am good with it

sounds like NYC at that time Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

If your flights are cancelled by the airline for whatever reason, you're entitled to a refund, even on nonrefundable or award tickets. If you want to go in August and are willing to go if the flights are going, you have nothing to lose by getting them now. If we're still quarantined, you get your points/money back, and if we're not, you're good to go.

Can't speak for the lease, but worst-case scenario you're only out $1150. I think that in the current situation they'll be flexible, too.

If it were me, I'd book it and not sweat it right now, but that's me. You'll have to decide what you want to do.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.