Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Cobalt, in Canada, hopefully coming to US

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Cobalt, in Canada, hopefully coming to US

So I found this card randomly online and was actually quite intrigued. It is evidently only in Canada that I can tell, tho the card design is used for the Explorer card in Australia which looks like a cross between the CSP and CSR. Anyway here are the highlights:

• MONTHLY fee of 10$
  • Banks MR points
  • 30k sign on bonus: 2,500 points each month if you spend 500$ or more a month for a year.
  • 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases
  • 1 point on everything else
  • Redemption of points:
    • Streaming services, travel, retail, concerts, food, amazon
    • Fixed points travel: categories of routes all with fixed point amounts no matter time of year

A few intersting concepts, looking forward to see what happens.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/credit-cards/information/cobalt-card/

https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/en/fixedpointstravel.html

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Cobalt, in Canada, hopefully coming to US

It's a nice looking card - color and design - I'll say that. It's not for me due to the monthly-annual fee, but I suspect it might get some marginal folks off their "platinum quest" that don't really need or use the $550 (AF) worth of Platinum benefits.  

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

5x for Eats and Drinks are nice Smiley Wink but there is $120 annual fee ($10 monthly)

Message 3 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I learned about this card last September. The consensus from what I've read is it's very doubtful they'll bring it to the US. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I came here hoping there was news that they might bring this to the US market.

I'm disappointed.

Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I came here hoping there was news that they might bring this to the US market.

I'm disappointed.

This.  We've been lamenting this card for a while.  I would say it has as much of a chance as coming the States as the awe-inducing Emirates NBD Starwood Preferred Guest card.

Message 6 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

That fixed points flight rewards system is weird.  Are MR points not transferrable to airlines in Canada?

Message 7 of 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

5x for Eats and Drinks are nice Smiley Wink but there is $120 annual fee ($10 monthly)

I already pay $195 AF for 2x at restaurants on my PRG... I would gladly trade!

Message 8 of 13
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

That fixed points flight rewards system is weird.  Are MR points not transferrable to airlines in Canada?

It looks like they're trying something potentially more appealing due to change in point values based on day of travel, proximity to holidays and destinations and who knows what else. Could be a decent plan.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CBartowski

I moved this thread to the Smorgasbord forum because, while it may be an interesting card, it is not now and probably never will be offered in the US.  To avoid any confusion to those reading the credit card forum we like to keep discussions there to cards issued in the US.  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.