Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX: "Card Not Present Transaction Approved", choice of wording

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX: "Card Not Present Transaction Approved", choice of wording

I'm brand new to AMEX, and that line BOTHERED me the first time I saw it.  The word "Not" really jumped out as I glanced at it for the first time in the subject title of the email. For a very brief moment, that word("Not") in my mind triggered memories of a transaction or 2 that did "not" go through, and the feeling controlled by the unconscious that went along with it(EDIT: it was for an Amazon order, so in the past when seeing the words "card" and "not" in an email subject regarding Amazon orders, it was not a god thing).  Yeah, I was relatively quickly over it, but it still was not necessary, and far from optimal, in my opinion.

"Not" is the 2nd word, whereas "Approved" is the 5th and last.  I think it still bothered me the 2nd time, though not as much.  I also imagine I can change my alert settings, but that is not the point.  I think the choice of words is very poor, regardless if anyone here agrees with me or not.  I may even contact American Express and express(not sure if I intended that pun) my feelings on the matter.  Words are very important, and I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar reaction the first time they saw this.  Subconscious reactions often are more powerful tham conscious ones, and for me this is an example of such.

Myself, I have not had a single other card use wording like that.  I know what it means, but I feel whomever chose that wording did a far less than optimal job.  If you disagree, I am interested in your thoughts as well.  It's possible some folks like or are neutral to seeing that everytime they make an online purchase, or even the first time or 2 before they mess around with the alert options.  I havent done so, but think I will due to the wording, even though the alert itself is useful...especially since I had my AMEX envelope with the card opened,  as detailed in my semi-epic approval thread, but the wording just gnaws at me for whatever reason(s).  

If you have similar stories with anything, the thread is open to that as well.   

EDIT: this is an industry that mints money, someone with a large salary is responsible for the wording, and folks familiar with psychology and marketing can do a better job than this.  Regardless of the replies here, there are large amounts of people out in the real world, so that a minoruty can still be a sizeable group.  I'm not angry or bitter, just making a point with what I've learned on my own that apparently does not resonate with whatever individual came up with that email subject/title.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX: "Card Not Present Transaction Approved", choice of wording

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm brand new to AMEX, and that line BOTHERED me the first time I saw it.  The word "Not" really jumped out as I glanced at it for the first time in the subject title of the email. For a very brief moment, that word("Not") in my mind triggered memories of a transaction or 2 that did "not" go through, and the feeling controlled by the unconscious that went along with it.  Yeah, I was relatively quickly over it, but it still was not necessary, and far from optimal, in my opinion.

"Not" is the 2nd word, whereas "Approved" is the 5th and last.  I think it still bothered me the 2nd time, though not as much.  I also imagine I can change my alert settings, but that is not the point.  I think the choice of words is very poor, regardless if anyone here agrees with me or not.  I may even contact American Express and express(not sure if I intended that pun) my feelings on the matter.  Words are very important, and I just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar reaction the first time they saw this.  Subconscious reactions often are more powerful tham conscious ones, and for me this is an example of such.

Myself, I have not had a single other card use wording like that.  I know what it means, but I feel whomever chose that wording did a far less than optimal job.  If you disagree, I am interested in your thoughts as well.  It's possible some folks like or are neutral to seeing that everytime they make an online purchase, or even the first time or 2 before they mess around with the alert options.  I havent done so, but think I will due to the wording, even though the alert itself is useful...especially since I had my AMEX envelope with the card opened,  as detailed in my semi-epic approval thread, but the wording just gnaws at me for whatever reason(s).  

If you have similar stories with anything, the thread is open to that as well.   

EDIT: this is an industry that mints money, someone with a large salary is responsible for the wording, and folks familiar with psychology and marketing can do a better job than this.  Regardless of the replies here, there are large amounts of people out in the real world, so that a minoruty can still be a sizeable group.  I'm not angry or bitter, just making a point with what I've learned on my own that apparently does not resonate with whatever individual came up with that email subject/title.

I have that alert set up on my Charge Cards. I use it on those and they pop whenever I have online purchases. I have it on those two because those cards are ones I have to pay the full balance on upon statement cut date. I will say is didn't do me much good when my PRG was cloned and someone went on a little shopping spree without my knowledge... Since they had a physical card, they could swipe the card at the terminal and no alert was sent. AMEX did catch the charges and notified me. They canceled the charges and the card and sent me a new one in 2 days. AMEX took real good care of me during that experience. 

I will agree that they could have come up with a better alert title, because, even when I'm expecting the alert, it still bothers me a little. 

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.  That wording has been used for a long time and first time that I have ever heard of anyone complaining.

Also as you readily admit this is due to your personal reaction to an everyday occurrence with American Express and not an actual feature of their cards, moving to Smorgasbord 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bleep, I didnt know this was out of line.  I thought it was a credit card issue and didnt know it was breaking any rules. It was important to me, and was hoping to get some replies.  Oh well, I suppose it did get one.  Anyhow, I just wanted to clarify I thought it was a worthy crediit card topic that even at this hour managed to find someone who could relate.  I didn't mean any harm. obviously.

(earlier today I asked someone what the meant when they said they didnt want to get sent to SB, and although they didnt answer, I guess I learned.  Weird).

Message 4 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hey Cap, lol, you seem to be in cc forum now. Just woke up so not sure the reference to SB was me as i mentioned it in one of my post. SB is not the death sentence haha its just where things go a little off topic can be hadSmiley Wink

I understand they could do better on the wording. I admit if i see this it just lets me know it was used online but i can see the problem as presented by Gardner76. I prefer an instant alert from any transaction on all credit cards though sadly we do not get them on all.Good post buddySmiley Happy
Message 5 of 19
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

I get why they said "Card Not Present", since that is what the payment industry calls mail/phone/online transactions, but it can definitely be confusing to customers.  I like Chase's use of "Mail/Phone/Online Transaction" in its alert subject line.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is one of the most ridiculous and outrageous complaints I've come across yet. I'd suggest simply disabling the alert entirely since the order of the wording is causing you so much stress.
Message 7 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont understand why something that may confuse someone and posts about to either vent or get feedback is outrageous and ridiculous.. If it bothers a person so much that one has to criticize said person, just ignore the post and move on.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I dont understand why something that may confuse someone and posts about to either vent or get feedback is outrageous and ridiculous.. If it bothers a person so much that one has to criticize said person, just ignore the post and move on.

Maybe but that doesn't mean that just because something bothers someone means it's a valid complaint.  CaptainJ stated in his OP that he knows what the alert means and he is the one that enabled the alert in the first place.  His entire issue is about the wording.  It may bother him and that's fine as he is entitled to feel what he states but that doesn't mean we want the CC forum to become a sounding board for people's complaints about how a CC company composes the wording of a voluntary alert.

Message 9 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe if you're dyslexic, it could be an issue. For people who don't jumble word order, it's pretty clear.

Can you think of a better way to convey the content in five words?

Citi uses the subject line "A card was not present for a transaction" but that's eight words and doesn't state whether the charge was even approved.

Chase uses "online/phone/mail" but those three categories aren't even comprehensive. Last month I had a few meals at hotel restaurants and charged them to the room. At least one of the hotels charged the card in increments and I got online/phone/mail alerts from Chase, even though I wasn't really using the card online, by mail, or by phone.

So other issuers aren't quite like Amex here...but they should be!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.