Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation stickers

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Activation stickers

I saw a card with an activation sticker still on it.  The sticker was beat to crap so guessing it has been on this person's card for months if not years.

I asked him what his myFICO user name was - jk.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Activation stickers

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

I saw a card with an activation sticker still on it.  The sticker was beat to crap so guessing it has been on this person's card for months if not years.

I leave stickers on my cards whenever possible, but with newer cards it's usually not feasible because it blocks the chip  Smiley Sad

A few times I've had servers / tellers etc... attempt to peel it off and I've had to jump in and grab the card back to intervene. 

Next time I'll say hi and introduce myself Smiley Very Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

I leave stickers on my cards whenever possible, but with newer cards it's usually not feasible because it blocks the chip  Smiley Sad

A few times I've had servers / tellers etc... attempt to peel it off and I've had to jump in and grab the card back to intervene. 

Next time I'll say hi and introduce myself Smiley Very Happy

I am calling for a special session of CMs and CLs to do a vote of Confidence on your status.  😃

Message 3 of 7
Hex
Valued Contributor

The activation stickers is meant to be used to cover the glue that's usually left behind when you remove a new card from the paper they attach it to. 

Message 4 of 7
IsFiveCardsEnough
Valued Member

Why would anyone leave the activation sticker on their card in the first place? Just wondering.

@Hex wrote:

The activation stickers is meant to be used to cover the glue that's usually left behind when you remove a new card from the paper they attach it to. 

In every card I've received, the activation sticker is on the front of the card, but it's the back of the card that's glued to the paper.

Unless you mean to put the (removed) sticker over the glue on the paper before tossing it?  Better to remove the glue entirely if you can, then the paper can be recycled.

Formerly CreditMarathoner. Cards: BoA CCR MC $8,000 / Chase Amazon Prime VS $3,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited VS $5,000 / Chase Sapphire Preferred VS $12,000 / Elan Sharonview FCU Max Cash Preferred VS $23,500 / TCL $51,500
Message 5 of 7
Hex
Valued Contributor

If you take the sticker off the front of the card you can use it to cover the glue that remains when you remove the card. That way you can fold the paper back up again. That's if you want to keep the paper. Sometimes the glue is like rubber cement and it's easy to peel off but other times (with some of the types of glue) all you can do is cover it up. 

Message 6 of 7
IsFiveCardsEnough
Valued Member

My renewal CFU just arrived today, so I figured I'd test the activation sticker theories posted here.

Alas, the card came with no sticker.  All the "activation" instructions were on the piece of paper the card was glued to.

And the "glue" is more like a piece of double sided tape, which stayed on the paper and not the card, but it's not coming off the paper either.  Guess it's not recyclable, but then it does have some account info so I'd be better of feeding my shredder with it.

Formerly CreditMarathoner. Cards: BoA CCR MC $8,000 / Chase Amazon Prime VS $3,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited VS $5,000 / Chase Sapphire Preferred VS $12,000 / Elan Sharonview FCU Max Cash Preferred VS $23,500 / TCL $51,500
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.