Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice wanted for possible Degree change

tag
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Advice wanted for possible Degree change

Hey all,

Currently I am entering my senior year of college in September, on track to graduate in June 2014. My undergrad program is the Bachler of Arts in Business Administration: Management Concentration. However, after many discussions with collegues, parents, and even my partner, I have been told that I should really consider switching my major to the Finance Concentration. I am not too deep in the management major to where I would have wasted time taking management classes, I have only done about 4 that are specific to the concentration, and I really enjoyed those classes, especially project management. If i switched, I COULD still graduate on time in June, though my course load would be heavy, or I could stretch it out and graduate in fall 2014 (so just a few more months). These recent discussions have got me thinking; finance is something I do enjoy, or at least certain aspects of it: ESPECIALLY CREDIT!!! 

What do you all think!? Have any of you had experience looking at resumes of college grads? Is Finance really better than a Management degree? Should I continue my management major and then go to school for another year to complete a finance second degree? Some people I have talked to say that companies do not really care if you have two degrees, just what you're good at doing. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice wanted for possible Degree change

you should have gotten a major and a minor. im going for business management with a minor in economics
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 2 of 8
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Technically I already have a minor in business admin. There aren't any finance or Econ or accounting minors at my university. We have very heavy majors for those fields only.
Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor
HiLine
Blogger

Majors don't really matter. It is what you do in school (and outside school) that counts. When it comes to job search, internships, GPA, and school activities matter a lot more than what you chose to study.

Message 5 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

You might want to do a search for what's in demand and will be in demand in the next 4-8 years and base yourself on that. I did that some years ago and it paid off.

I did a BSc EE then and MSc Aerospace Eng. I worked both in the Aerospace Defense industry (Flight Evaluator)  and in the Electronics research.

Practically all jobs nowadays are on the job training. As long as you have a degree you can learn (unless the job is very specific to a field i.e. medical, nursing, accounting, law etc)

Message 6 of 8
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

@broseph23 wrote:

Hey all,

Currently I am entering my senior year of college in September, on track to graduate in June 2014. My undergrad program is the Bachler of Arts in Business Administration: Management Concentration. However, after many discussions with collegues, parents, and even my partner, I have been told that I should really consider switching my major to the Finance Concentration. I am not too deep in the management major to where I would have wasted time taking management classes, I have only done about 4 that are specific to the concentration, and I really enjoyed those classes, especially project management. If i switched, I COULD still graduate on time in June, though my course load would be heavy, or I could stretch it out and graduate in fall 2014 (so just a few more months). These recent discussions have got me thinking; finance is something I do enjoy, or at least certain aspects of it: ESPECIALLY CREDIT!!! 

What do you all think!? Have any of you had experience looking at resumes of college grads? Is Finance really better than a Management degree? Should I continue my management major and then go to school for another year to complete a finance second degree? Some people I have talked to say that companies do not really care if you have two degrees, just what you're good at doing. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

a degree really only gets your foot in the door, your knowledge and skill level moves you up. I would do whatever ur comfortable with, but if it were me, I would finish the management major and then complete a Finance degree only if you want to possibly enter the field. I have a masters in hrm myself with a minor in poly science and gov. im considering a finance degree as well.

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 7 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Majors don't really matter. It is what you do in school (and outside school) that counts. When it comes to job search, internships, GPA, and school activities matter a lot more than what you chose to study.

+1

You also have to take into consideration if you will be able to get those required classes in your senior year and how having a heavy load could possibly effect your GPA.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.