Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air National Guard

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Air National Guard

Hey guys, I'm thinking about joining the Air National Guard, part time military, full time civilian, that way I could reap the military benefits and get the premium credit cards waived. And still be able to have my own life rather than going straight to the Navy, Airforce, etc. And because I want to get the USAA account too and other stuff.

Only thing I'm worried about is the basic training but after the 8 weeks, I never have to worry about it again, maybe for the rest of my life. Those premium credit cards could save me thousands a year and could also get thousands in travel tickets for free lol. ldk, it just makes sense for me, to join.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Air National Guard

TheBoondocks you are undertaking a big decision. Years back the National Guard stayed home and today they are called on to help with National Emergencies of all types as well as serving in Foreign Countries. My son dreamed of being a pilot from 14 years old and served for years when at 31 the National Guard taped him as BlackHawk Helicopter Crew Chief and sent him to Fort Rucker Alabama for Officers Training and then Pilot Training. Today he works in the private sector but performs duties related to flying for the Military as a pilot and he loves serving. He has been called up twice and sent to Iraq for a year and Afganistan for a year so the idea of staying home no longer applies. Mention that as it is part of the commitment. Former US Army Special Forces here who was active and separated into the Reserves years back. You certainly can apply to USAA as a recruit and I cannot speak for Navy FCU but they are great places to go as service people. Am a member myself and no regrets. As an aside the Governor of my state ordered me back to serve as a Civilian Liaison for the National Guard interfacing with civilian populations surrounding the Military Base and trained with the Norwegian Forces for winter training and it was quite interesting (I was way older than the regular troops so what a shock and it was part-time thank goodness). Basic Training will kick start your military life and you work hard but after words you will feel it lays out the basic foundation. Best Wishes!
Message 2 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, I'm thinking about joining the Air National Guard, part time military, full time civilian, that way I could reap the military benefits and get the premium credit cards waived. And still be able to have my own life rather than going straight to the Navy, Airforce, etc. And because I want to get the USAA account too and other stuff.

Only thing I'm worried about is the basic training but after the 8 weeks, I never have to worry about it again, maybe for the rest of my life. Those premium credit cards could save me thousands a year and could also get thousands in travel tickets for free lol. ldk, it just makes sense for me, to join.

Although I might be misreading your post, you want to join the National Gaurd for "credit card benefits"?  Not trying to be snarky or disrespectful, but if that's your primary reason to serve, I'd reconsider your priorities. 

Message 3 of 8
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Hey Dinosaur, thank you for that, it really made me think about the decisions. It is a big decision, it's the fact that I have to serve for 6 years, I can't even keep a job for a year so people would say forget it but yeah maybe I'm over thinking this.

Wow... hopefully your son made it home safe from Iraq and Afghan, thank you for your son for serving our country day in and day out, every single day! Man, it's crazy, I'm always trying to get the easy way out but I think it's the military that's trying to get you lol. I really thought that I be at home as a civilian aha.

I'm a member for NFCU, love them! Thank you bro, really appreciate it! Salute!
Message 4 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

We have some part time and full time guard people at work.  They do the same things their regular AF counterparts do so it could open up doors to a new career as well.  One of my best friends is National Guard and she is a Lt. Col.  She gets military benefits like health too.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 8
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

It just makes sense to me that I'm already a civilian, might as well get the military benefits too not only for myself but for my family too. Just hopefully I could get in.
Message 6 of 8
Kree
Established Contributor

Do Guard members get the insurance for life thing like full time branch members do?  Thats another bonus depending upon your current field of employment, and the potential pullback from the ACA.

Message 7 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

@Kree wrote:

Do Guard members get the insurance for life thing like full time branch members do?  Thats another bonus depending upon your current field of employment, and the potential pullback from the ACA.

I believe if they retire from the guard they do.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.