Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airpods

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Airpods

My daughter wants these for Christmas .

Can anyone tell me the difference between them other than price range ?

Airpods with charging case

Airpods with wireless charging case

The new pros might be over my budget lol.

Just wondering if there is a big difference or it it just you have to plug in the regular airpods as opposed to the case wirelessly charging them,  same sound and quality correct? 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Airpods

The originals are discontinued. The wireless case let's you charge the new ones up to 4x on a single charge. In addition to Siri functionality, the AirPods Pro and Apple AirPods 2 run on a chip called the H1 compared to the W1 chip found in the original AirPods. The H1 chip is claimed to offer two times faster connection between active devices than the old AirPods, 50 per cent more talk time and 1.5x faster connection for phone calls.

For reference, the old AirPods had a 5 hour life 

Message 2 of 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Thank you so much Smiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 13
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

My daughter wants these for Christmas .

Can anyone tell me the difference between them other than price range ?

Airpods with charging case

Airpods with wireless charging case

The new pros might be over my budget lol.

Just wondering if there is a big difference or it it just you have to plug in the regular airpods as opposed to the case wirelessly charging them,  same sound and quality correct? 

Just don't get them wet. Ha Ha. A couple days after I got mine I fell into a lake with them in my pocket. I only fell in to my waste but that was enough. They never worked again. Though they may be more of a fashon statement than the best option for your ears. I "was" happy about the ease of connectivity between my apple products.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 4 of 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@CramEiko 

Thank you. It kinda kills me to pay that for ear buds but it's apple I suppose 😀

But that's all she really asked for other than leggings 😆

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There’s a ton of sales happening now before the Black Friday insanity. And the 2nd gen will be discounted a bit if only cause they want more people buying the new ones. If you have the Apple Card then I would just get them from Apple to get the 3% back. I was able to get 2nd gen ones from Newegg on a flash sale for $120 (That includes tax and shipping). That’s with the regular charging case. The wireless charging case isn’t worth the extra $50 IMHO. I don’t know how old your daughter is but maybe if you get the AirPods for less, you can throw in a cute case cover. The charging cases take a beating and a cover helps protect it and also makes it easy to know which one is hers. Target has a few on sale today with their Black Friday preview sale. Also look on Amazon. For AirPods and case covers.
Message 6 of 13
tacpoly
Established Contributor

I have the AirPod Pros. The noise cancellation and seamless integration with the iPhone are great. The regular AirPods never fit me, so when the Pros came out with different size silicone tips, I got them immediately. They make great presents — and you can get the case customized.
Message 7 of 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks all I appreciate the feedback.

She told me today she would prefer to not have the new ones because they are weird looking 🤣🤣
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have second generation with the wireless case, and honestly I don't know if I'd be missing much if I didn't have the wireless option. Wired charging is always going to be faster, anyhow. Costco had the wireless for $20 off when I bought mine.

They are easily my favorite purchase of 2019. I swear pairing bluetooth devices is the bain of my existence (I'm exaggerating, but I have always been annoyed by the experience) and the integration is in fact seamless.

I also love that my music starts/stops automatcially when I put them in or take them out . . perfect for work when someone pops in to ask you a question.

I feel like it's been a while since an Apple product noticeably improved my quality of life and these really did. Leaving the house with wallet/keys/phone now includes them as well. 

Message 9 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:
I have the AirPod Pros. The noise cancellation and seamless integration with the iPhone are great. The regular AirPods never fit me, so when the Pros came out with different size silicone tips, I got them immediately. They make great presents — and you can get the case customized.

Agree on the fit. The comfort and fit was the number one reason I skipped the AirPods and stayed with Bose (QuietComfort 30 for airplanes + SoundSport Free for out-and-abound/working-out). Their headphones have been the Achilles Heel of Apple's design.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.