cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All in on credit unions: What's in your wallet?

tag
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

All in on credit unions: What's in your wallet?

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to go all in on credit unions, what would your ideal wallet look like?

Credit cards, checking, savings...break it down.  Feel free to break down the cards by rewards too.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All in on credit unions: What's in your wallet?

NFCU Platinum MasterCard as a low APR emergency card 

NFCU More Rewards AMEX for 3% on groceries, gas, fast food, and transit

Affinity FCU VISA Signature for 5% on Amazon and rotating additional 5% categories

AODFCU Visa Signature for 3% on all non-category purchases

PenFed PCR for 2% on all purchases as a backup 

Cards out of reach due to geofences would be the PCMCU Platinum Rewards MasterCard for 5% back on $1K of spend each month and the VantageWest Connect Visa Signature for 5% back on a category I select. 

I have put a lot of thought into what I would do with a CU card lineup. 

Message 2 of 5
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Affinity FCU VISA Signature for 5% on Amazon and rotating additional 5% categories

Cards out of reach due to geofences would be the PCMCU Platinum Rewards MasterCard for 5% back on $1K of spend each month and the VantageWest Connect Visa Signature for 5% back on a category I select. 

Nice, I like that list.

Any thoughts on banking products?  Checking and savings?

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 3 of 5
iced
Valued Contributor

@toothgrind3r wrote:

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to go all in on credit unions, what would your ideal wallet look like?

Credit cards, checking, savings...break it down.  Feel free to break down the cards by rewards too.

It would be empty.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice, I like that list.

Any thoughts on banking products?  Checking and savings?

I would go with DCU, NFCU, and PenFed for those. 

PenFed would get my direct deposit so I would get 2% on the PCR, I would push the full deposit from PenFed to NFCU and use the NFCU as my primary checking, I would funnel $1K into DCU's savings for the easy 6.17% APY, and I would continue to contribute any excess to my ABLE account. 

My reasons for using NFCU over PenFed is because NFCU has Zelle and I use that with my roommates to pay rent and whatever else we decide to pay each other for and I have been a member since 2018 without any serious issues. If I was going to leave my bank of 9 years, I would want to move to an option I know is solid. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.