Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold, really poor construction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold, really poor construction

This is my second card where two layers seperated after just few months of use. There has to be a design flaw.

signal-attachment-2020-03-24-193231.jpeg

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Gold, really poor construction

Dang that really is coming apart. I guess you can just get a replacement?

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

They weren't as purty in the 90's, but they lasted. For that AF, that's embarrassing for Amex.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Dang that really is coming apart. I guess you can just get a replacement?

I did, I just hate to keep asking them for new cards because of this. smh

Message 4 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

My CSR split like that after a year or so. It hasn't completely come apart so I just keep on using it as it seems wasteful to toss a card that's still functional. Environment and all that.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really sure this is something that can even be fixed. Metal and adhesives don't really go together. Ones that stick well long term may well eat the plastic backing. 

I think lenders should offer plastic cards to those who don't go for flex value. The novelty of a metal card wears off when it falls apart. 

Message 6 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not really sure this is something that can even be fixed. Metal and adhesives don't really go together. Ones that stick well long term may well eat the plastic backing. 

I think lenders should offer plastic cards to those who don't go for flex value. The novelty of a metal card wears off when it falls apart. 

While I couldn't care less about the look/"status" of metal cards, I did find all my plastic cards would last about a year before the top third-inch or so would crack and break off in my wallet from the pressure applied in my wallet while seated (the way cards would be stacked in the wallet would case it, I believe). The workaround was to stop putting my wallet in my back pocket, but FWIW the metal-reinforced cards did not break like that and were much welcomed for their durability in that regard.

Turns out, they just break in different ways instead.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While I couldn't care less about the look/"status" of metal cards, I did find all my plastic cards would last about a year before the top third-inch or so would crack and break off in my wallet from the pressure applied in my wallet while seated (the way cards would be stacked in the wallet would case it, I believe). The workaround was to stop putting my wallet in my back pocket, but FWIW the metal-reinforced cards did not break like that and were much welcomed for their durability in that regard.

And then there's me who has never cracked a plastic card despite packing 25 of them in a wallet with 5 slots. 

Message 8 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And then there's me who has never cracked a plastic card despite packing 25 of them in a wallet with 5 slots. 

Well, they can't crack if they can't bend, now can they

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.