Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Ameriprise Packaging

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Ameriprise Packaging

Does the Ameriprise Amex Platinum card arrive with the wooden box that doubles as a phone holder? Just curious.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Ameriprise Packaging

Mine did indeed arrive in the wooden packaging. 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

Message 3 of 20
DU556
Regular Contributor

What's the difference on this card?
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Ameriprise Amex Platinum waives the $550 annual fee the first year. You may also add up to three authorized users for free the first year as well. However, the authorized users must be added by AmEx reps and not online. You do not get a sign up bonus because the annual fee is waived. You get all the regular benefits of the card. 

There are are plenty of articles explaining the triple dip of the airline credit.  Churning may not help you build a great relationship with Amex though. Also, many cancel the card before the annual fee and reapply in 30 days.  Spouses also take turns applying for the card every other year.  

I like the card card because I get to test drive it for free along with family members for free the first year. In addition, I may still apply for the other versions of the Amex Platinum and receive sign up bonuses because they’re all different products.

Message 5 of 20
iced
Valued Contributor

My platinum (personal, not Ameriprise) came in a regular envelope, glued to a piece of paper. Which version comes in a wooden box besides this one?
Message 6 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Ameriprise Amex Platinum waives the $550 annual fee the first year. You may also add up to three authorized users for free the first year as well. However, the authorized users must be added by AmEx reps and not online. You do not get a sign up bonus because the annual fee is waived. You get all the regular benefits of the card. 

There are are plenty of articles explaining the triple dip of the airline credit.  Churning may not help you build a great relationship with Amex though. Also, many cancel the card before the annual fee and reapply in 30 days.  Spouses also take turns applying for the card every other year.  

I like the card card because I get to test drive it for free along with family members for free the first year. In addition, I may still apply for the other versions of the Amex Platinum and receive sign up bonuses because they’re all different products.

There is certainly no strict rule preventing you from getting a bonus on other Platinum versions. However, Amex can potentially refuse you the bonus on a new card if they feel you've had too many bonuses and closures them with not enough spend.

Personally I prefer a good case for my phone over a display stand. I assume they are incompatible, as designs for the former vary.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

All versions of the platinum Amex (6) come with a wooden phone stand. However, the authorized users will not receive the wooden stand.  In America at least. I have seen a Canadian unboxing wherein the platinum Amex is still plastic and comes in a small portfolio. 

@iced wrote:
My platinum (personal, not Ameriprise) came in a regular envelope, glued to a piece of paper. Which version comes in a wooden box besides this one?

Message 8 of 20
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All versions of the platinum Amex (6) come with a wooden phone stand. However, the authorized users will not receive the wooden stand.  In America at least. I have seen a Canadian unboxing wherein the platinum Amex is still plastic and comes in a small portfolio. 

@iced wrote:

I'm not an AU, my card is not plastic, and I'm in the US. I've had it less than a year, so perhaps they've done away with the wooden boxes or for some reason they occasionally forego the wooden box.

No big loss either way, but if someone opened an account with the hopes of getting a wooden box they might want to brace for a surprise.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely not a loss. It’s something that most will toss or never use. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.