Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Members Rejoice!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Platinum Members Rejoice!!!

Source: Wikipedia 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment

Contactless payment systems are credit cards and debit cards, key fobs, smart cards or other devices, including smartphones and other mobile devices, that use radio-frequency identification (RFID), near field communication (NFC), or Samsung Pay (MST) for making secure payments. The embedded chip and antenna enable consumers to wave their card, fob, or handheld device over a reader at the point of sale terminal. Contactless payments are made in close physical proximity; they are usually distinguished from mobile payments which can also take place on mobile phones, but mobile payments use broad-area cellular or WiFi networks and do not involve close physical proximity.

Some suppliers claim that transactions can be almost twice as fast as a conventional cash, credit, or debit card purchase. Because no signature or PIN verification is typically required, contactless purchases are typically limited to small value sales. Lack of authentication provides a window during which fraudulent purchases can be made.

Research indicates that consumers are likely to spend more money using their cards due to the ease of small transactions. MasterCard Canada says it has seen "about 25 percent" higher spending by users of its Mastercard Contactless-brand RFID credit cards.

EMV is a common standard used by major credit card and smartphone companies for use in general commerce. Contactless smart cards that function as stored-value cards are becoming popular for use as transit systemfarecards, such as the Oyster card or RioCard. These can often store non-currency value (such as monthly passes) in additional to fare value purchased with cash or electronic payment.

Security

As with all payment devices, contactless cards have a number of security features. Depending on the economic space, there may be a payment limit on single transactions, and some contactless cards can only be used a certain number of times before customers are asked for their PIN. Contactless debit and credit transactions use the same chip and PIN network as older cards and are protected by the same fraud guarantees. Where PIN is supported (e.g., not in the United States), the contactless part of the card remains non-functional until a standard chip and PIN transaction has been executed. This provides some verification that the card was delivered to the actual cardholder. To reduce the likelihood of identity theft, a contactless card does not contain the cardholder's actual name; instead, a placeholder name is used.

Under fraud guarantee standards U.S. banks are liable for any fraudulent transactions charged to the contactless cards.

Message 161 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not like it matters, but to update you guys on the durabilty of the metal card I been using a lot the last 2 days. Well......all the little scratches seem to only happen on the back of the card, I guess whatever material is on the back of the card it's more prone to scratches. Also, the magnetic strip on the back of the card is a little dirty with black specs of residue from going through those card readers lol. The front of the card looks unfazed as of now. Hows everyone's else? 

Message 162 of 180
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not like it matters, but to update you guys on the durabilty of the metal card I been using a lot the last 2 days. Well......all the little scratches seem to only happen on the back of the card, I guess whatever material is on the back of the card it's more prone to scratches. Also, the magnetic strip on the back of the card is a little dirty with black specs of residue from going through those card readers lol. The front of the card looks unfazed as of now. Hows everyone's else? 

I used it twice already, at Duane Reade and at McDonalds and both times it was tap to pay! So my card looks exactly like it did when I got it, tap to pay is good for card durabilityHeart

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 163 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I used it twice already, at Duane Reade and at McDonalds and both times it was tap to pay! So my card looks exactly like it did when I got it, tap to pay is good for card durabilityHeart

Sweet! I don't have a contactless card, but would this be the same if I stored my card into my phone and use apple pay, so I just scan with my phone instead? I dont know, I do like swiping my card or handing it over to the cashier/watiress,  I take enjoyment in that just whipping out lol. 

Message 164 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what color is the card? Some sites are saying the new metal Platinum is a rose colored and others say its just like the silver plastic cards? Thanks

Message 165 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was at a centurion lounge this morning and the guy at the front desk said he hopes they don't scratch like the black cards because they don't swipe at check in. I'm thinking scratching could be an issue in the future with these cards.

Message 166 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not rose colored at all. More platinum/titanium/metallic looking than before. Definitely not as silver or flashy. 

Message 167 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was at a centurion lounge this morning and the guy at the front desk said he hopes they don't scratch like the black cards because they don't swipe at check in. I'm thinking scratching could be an issue in the future with these cards.

what do you mean they dont swipe at check in? The black cards arent able to swipe through the card reader cause its too thick? 

my amex metal already has scratches on the back from usage, I was also able to insert it in a chip reader slot earlier at target lol. I'm okay with scratching.....its unavoidable its going to happen no matter what, even plastic cards have scratches....I guess just the metal makes it stand out more. 

Message 168 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

what do you mean they dont swipe at check in? The black cards arent able to swipe through the card reader cause its too thick? 

my amex metal already has scratches on the back from usage, I was also able to insert it in a chip reader slot earlier at target lol. I'm okay with scratching.....its unavoidable its going to happen no matter what, even plastic cards have scratches....I guess just the metal makes it stand out more. 

From my understanding what he meant was that the black cards(metal cards) wouldn't read when swiping bc they tended to scratch more on the back so the card wouldn't read. Not a thickness issue.

Message 169 of 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Discover2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You influenced me....I don't have contacless but I did just set up my card on apple pay for the first time ever, so whenever I get the chance I can just use my phone to pay instead of the physical card swiping. Less wear and tear haha......

Message 170 of 180
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.