Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Vanity Backdating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Vanity Backdating

Hi Friends, 

I had a charge off on my amex card something like 10 years ago during college. Mistakes made.. yada yada. Anyway, I have two amex cards now, the Delta Platinum and I have a Gold charge card coming in the mail. However, my "Member Since" number is only 2021 when I applied for the Delta Platinum last year. 

I know Amex won't backdate tradelines, but I've heard they will backdate the Member Since date on the card. I've recently found my past account number and the date it was opened so my question is, if I reach out to them to backdate the member since date, will I have to pay the charge off amount (very happy to do it, I'll probably offer to pay it anyway) and will that charge off resurface on my credit report as having been paid? I currently have no derogatory marks on my report and my scores are around 800. I'd like to have the vanity dating on my Amex cards but not if I risk making that charge off resurface. 

Thanks for any tips! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Vanity Backdating

Amex has been known to back date quite often, however I would just leave it be I mean it's just a date. And even offering to pay them back just to change the date not worth IMO.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You can always ask, also I've never heard anyone reporting being asked to settle an old account AFTER they're already back in with AMEX.   If they've opened a new account for you then very likely they've moved on from it.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

If they don't set the date on your first card, the replacement should have the old date on it.

Message 4 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

While Amex can forgive, I don't think they really ever forget so it's likely been linked up to your account history if you've been back with them for a year.  Does the Member Since date that shows in your Amex account state 2021 or your original date?  If it's the latter, the connection has been made and as Brian_Earl_Spilner stated, simply requesting a new card will almost certainly display the older year.  The cards I applied for between 2017 and 2018 with Amex all arrived with Member Since 17/18 on them even though I have 3 cards that have been continuously open since 2002.  The replacement cards for all of them (Starwood Preferred Guest became SPG Luxury and later Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant,  Delta cards were reissued as metal cards) did state the correct 02.  Oddly my 4 business cards acquired since 2018 all arrived with Member Since 02 on them the first time.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update. Apparantly I paid the charge off amount in 2015 and forgot about it. They found my old account and updated my member since date to 2011 when I opened my first card. Looks like there was nothing to worry about after all. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.