Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex math?

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Amex math?

I'm out of the loop on the "Amex math" joke.  Could someone tell me what everyone's talking about?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex math?

Amex has their own math. We could teach you, but there's a $695 AF for that course. Good news is you get a bunch of credits to offset that for things you'll never use.

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I believe @simplynoir is very familiar with AmEx math 😂

Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You know how 1+1=2? An accepted answer you would think

AMEX will argue it's not unless you solve it on a solar eclispe during the Mesozoic era and write a dissertation on it, defend it while several RATs judge you and then maybe MAYBE be proven right in their eyes

...only for AMEX to shut you down because you forgot to sign the check with your left hand

Message 4 of 11
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

You know how 1+1=2? An accepted answer you would think

AMEX will argue it's not unless you solve it on a solar eclispe during the Mesozoic era and write a dissertation on it, defend it while several RATs judge you and then maybe MAYBE be proven right in their eyes

...only for AMEX to shut you down because you forgot to sign the check with your left hand

That is good stuff right there.  Thanks for the laugh.

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Amex math is math that only makes sense for Amex fanbois. 

You can recognize a fanboi by frequent "They are just getting to know you"  

Also, the origin of Amex math actually came from when Gold had waived AF and all over the board there was onslaught of "I'm applying, it makes all the sense for me", followed by "What to do with Gold, it was never a good match for me" a year later when AF time came.

So, in a way, Amex math became any ridiculous concept you can encounter on CC forum. 

Message 6 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

- Lots of highly specific credits that expire. Not annual "travel" or "dining" credits but monthly "NBC Peacock Streaming and NY Times" ones. Some more normal ones, but lots of weird ones.

- Less so now, but bonus reward categories could be hard to track on statements.

- Not sure if it's still true, but spend that was reimbursed by a statement credit would in some cases not count towards minimum spend.

- Giving Priority Pass but excluding restaurants.

Amex still works for me.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Amex math is math that only makes sense for Amex fanbois. 

You can recognize a fanboi by frequent "They are just getting to know you"  

Also, the origin of Amex math actually came from when Gold had waived AF and all over the board there was onslaught of "I'm applying, it makes all the sense for me", followed by "What to do with Gold, it was never a good match for me" a year later when AF time came.

So, in a way, Amex math became any ridiculous concept you can encounter on CC forum. 

This explanation made the most sense for me, but why call it Amex math when it's not really about anything Amex did (or is even Amex specific) so much as the conclusions some people will contort their minds toward to justify a decision? Why not call it Fanboi math or something like that?

Message 8 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Amex has their own math. We could teach you, but there's a $695 AF for that course. Good news is you get a bunch of credits to offset that for things you'll never use.

+100

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

$695 it pays for itself. It doesn't cost you a dime. 

Come on man.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.