cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex or Discover?

pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Amex or Discover?

I’m just looking to stir up controversy. No lol but I am curious as to which of the two “outsiders” you all prefer. I know some people (such as myself) love them both but have a special affection for Discover. And then there are those who hate Disco. Or maybe you don’t like either....

Go! 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Apple Card: 1.5k
36 REPLIES 36
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Amex or Discover?


@pinkandgrey wrote:

I’m just looking to stir up controversy. No lol but I am curious as to which of the two “outsiders” you all prefer. I know some people (such as myself) love them both but have a special affection for Discover. And then there are those who hate Disco. Or maybe you don’t like either....

Go! 


 

 

I'll play a different game with you...when you say Amex, what exactly are you talking about? I mean, are we to agonize over grocery spending or business credit?  

Message 2 of 37
plasticbill
Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

I think Amex is the clear winner here...
Message 3 of 37
Streetervillelady
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@plasticbill wrote:
I think Amex is the clear winner here...

Boom!.gif




Message 4 of 37
pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@Remedios wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I’m just looking to stir up controversy. No lol but I am curious as to which of the two “outsiders” you all prefer. I know some people (such as myself) love them both but have a special affection for Discover. And then there are those who hate Disco. Or maybe you don’t like either....

Go! 


 

 

I'll play a different game with you...when you say Amex, what exactly are you talking about? I mean, are we to agonize over grocery spending or business credit?  


Hmmmm.... I suppose I’m talking more about the “usual suspects”, the personal revolvers such as the BCE, ED, etc.

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Apple Card: 1.5k
Message 5 of 37
CS1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

I had Amex years ago and it was an ok card.

As soon as my discover comes in the mail, I'll decide which is better then. Discover gets big kudos for a generous starting line But, it may be hard to compare since they're both good for different things.

Side note... my chase slate was my preferred card over the Amex though
July 2020
Experian Fico 8. 707
Transunion Fico 8. 705
Equifax Fico 8. 724

Capital one QS1. $2450
Discover IT Cashback. $12,000
PNC cash rewards signature Visa. $17,500
Chase SW rapid rewards signature visa $6900
Amex Green Card NPSL POT $11,000

Amex Hilton Honors $1000
Citi Rewards $3900
Message 6 of 37
pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@CS1974 wrote:
I had Amex years ago and it was an ok card.

As soon as my discover comes in the mail, I'll decide which is better then. Discover gets big kudos for a generous starting line But, it may be hard to compare since they're both good for different things.

Side note... my chase slate was my preferred card over the Amex though

Uh oh we have a Chase vote lol. I’ll be curious to see which you like better. Honestly my love for Discover has a lot to do with the customer service and CLI availability... sorry, AJC 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Apple Card: 1.5k
Message 7 of 37
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

Discover was my second credit card (15 years ago). They have always been good to me. Never had an issue with them. Low interest rates, nice modern/clean web interface, highest credit line of all my cards, excellent customer service. No complaints here.

 

American Express makes me feel special. There is something unique about having an AmEx. Their customer service is great, friendly, and tries hard, but doesn't always give accurate information. The offers are cool. 

 

Discover is the equivalent of a really great Honda car that is dependable and gets you through your younger years, while American Express is a fussy Bentley.

Message 8 of 37
pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@kerplunk wrote:

Discover was my second credit card (15 years ago). They have always been good to me. Never had an issue with them. Low interest rates, nice modern/clean web interface, highest credit line of all my cards, excellent customer service. No complaints here.

 

American Express makes me feel special. There is something unique about having an AmEx. Their customer service is great, friendly, and tries hard, but doesn't always give accurate information. The offers are cool. 

 

Discover is the equivalent of a really great Honda car that is dependable and gets you through your younger years, while American Express is a fussy Bentley.


And yet we all want that Bentley.  Lol I like this analogy. 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Apple Card: 1.5k
Message 9 of 37
glockr
Established Member

Re: Amex or Discover?

Discover has always treated me well. Also their fraud prevention is awesome.  Don't know much about Amex, Costco made us switch to Citi when they changes their "credit partnership."

Starting Score (4/1/19 TU FICO 8): 600
Current Score (4/20/19): 600
Goal Score: 780


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.