Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex or Discover?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Amex or Discover?

I’m just looking to stir up controversy. No lol but I am curious as to which of the two “outsiders” you all prefer. I know some people (such as myself) love them both but have a special affection for Discover. And then there are those who hate Disco. Or maybe you don’t like either....

Go! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
36 REPLIES 36
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex or Discover?

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I’m just looking to stir up controversy. No lol but I am curious as to which of the two “outsiders” you all prefer. I know some people (such as myself) love them both but have a special affection for Discover. And then there are those who hate Disco. Or maybe you don’t like either....

Go! 

I'll play a different game with you...when you say Amex, what exactly are you talking about? I mean, are we to agonize over grocery spending or business credit?  

Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Amex is the clear winner here...
Message 3 of 37
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think Amex is the clear winner here...

Boom!.gif

Message 4 of 37
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Go! 

I'll play a different game with you...when you say Amex, what exactly are you talking about? I mean, are we to agonize over grocery spending or business credit?  

Hmmmm.... I suppose I’m talking more about the “usual suspects”, the personal revolvers such as the BCE, ED, etc.

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had Amex years ago and it was an ok card.

As soon as my discover comes in the mail, I'll decide which is better then. Discover gets big kudos for a generous starting line But, it may be hard to compare since they're both good for different things.

Side note... my chase slate was my preferred card over the Amex though
Message 6 of 37
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had Amex years ago and it was an ok card.

As soon as my discover comes in the mail, I'll decide which is better then. Discover gets big kudos for a generous starting line But, it may be hard to compare since they're both good for different things.

Side note... my chase slate was my preferred card over the Amex though

Uh oh we have a Chase vote lol. I’ll be curious to see which you like better. Honestly my love for Discover has a lot to do with the customer service and CLI availability... sorry, AJC 

Message 7 of 37
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

Discover was my second credit card (15 years ago). They have always been good to me. Never had an issue with them. Low interest rates, nice modern/clean web interface, highest credit line of all my cards, excellent customer service. No complaints here.

American Express makes me feel special. There is something unique about having an AmEx. Their customer service is great, friendly, and tries hard, but doesn't always give accurate information. The offers are cool. 

Discover is the equivalent of a really great Honda car that is dependable and gets you through your younger years, while American Express is a fussy Bentley.

Message 8 of 37
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@kerplunk wrote:

Discover was my second credit card (15 years ago). They have always been good to me. Never had an issue with them. Low interest rates, nice modern/clean web interface, highest credit line of all my cards, excellent customer service. No complaints here.

American Express makes me feel special. There is something unique about having an AmEx. Their customer service is great, friendly, and tries hard, but doesn't always give accurate information. The offers are cool. 

Discover is the equivalent of a really great Honda car that is dependable and gets you through your younger years, while American Express is a fussy Bentley.

And yet we all want that Bentley.  Lol I like this analogy. 

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover has always treated me well. Also their fraud prevention is awesome.  Don't know much about Amex, Costco made us switch to Citi when they changes their "credit partnership."

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.