cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex or Discover?

simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@kerplunk wrote:

Discover is the equivalent of a really great Honda car that is dependable and gets you through your younger years, while American Express is a fussy Bentley.


One could make the argument following this analogy that some people shouldn't get the Bentley if they can't afford the upkeep.

Message 11 of 37
Sage512MB
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

Getting into the credit card game, Discover always seemed like a budget brand and AMEX was the royalty one. I think a lot of people outside the game think that too.

Now looking at Discover with what i have learned so far, they are the company who have gave a lot of people a new lease on credit life after hardships and that’s why they are loved. And if cash back is your game, you are gonna have a Discover with you.

But I love my AMEX. Gold card does turn a head or two. Fits my spending and what I want from a card. But definitely will add a Discover down the line for me.
Message 12 of 37
simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I’m just looking to stir up controversy. No lol but I am curious as to which of the two “outsiders” you all prefer. I know some people (such as myself) love them both but have a special affection for Discover. And then there are those who hate Disco. Or maybe you don’t like either....

Go! 


 

 

I'll play a different game with you...when you say Amex, what exactly are you talking about? I mean, are we to agonize over grocery spending or business credit?  


Hmmmm.... I suppose I’m talking more about the “usual suspects”, the personal revolvers such as the BCE, ED, etc.


I think it's based on what you want. If you're looking for cold hard cash it's Disco, anything else it's AMEX. Having said that AMEX ain't perfect and anecdotally they treat customers with higher spend better especially once you get higher up the tree. This goes with their cards such as Gold/Platinum and HVCMs with their tier tree. Disco from what I've gathered treat everyone the same and their customer service is highly regarded so that's a big plus to them.

Message 13 of 37
pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@simplynoir wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:

Discover is the equivalent of a really great Honda car that is dependable and gets you through your younger years, while American Express is a fussy Bentley.


One could make the argument following this analogy that someone people shouldn't get the Bentley if they can't afford the upkeep.


Oooh we’re getting deep now

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Message 14 of 37
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

I'd like to derail this topic by offering the Credit One NASCAR card up for consideration. Smiley Happy Now if they offered the Credit One NASCAR American Express card, then all bets are off. I mean with APRs STARTING at 20.24% for those with excellent credit and 2% cash back at the NASCAR.com Superstore, really, is there a more deserving card for your wallet?

Message 15 of 37
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

I like my Amex more cause it has a higher limit and I used it more. I'll never forget Disco for being the first love.








Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 16 of 37
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

I like them both for different reasons. Both have nice websites and apps. Love Disco's customer service. Love the immediate payment credits on amex. Being able to SP for new cards is a plus. Disco fits me 2 quarters of the year. But to be honest, the moment I get back in with Chase, UR will get my spend. I find more value there than what Amex offers.







Message 17 of 37
pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@RicHowe wrote:

I'd like to derail this topic by offering the Credit One NASCAR card up for consideration. Smiley Happy Now if they offered the Credit One NASCAR American Express card, then all bets are off. I mean with APRs STARTING at 20.24% for those with excellent credit and 2% cash back at the NASCAR.com Superstore, really, is there a more deserving card for your wallet?


Daaaang I’m not gonna sleep until I get that one. Some lenders just know what’s practical 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Message 18 of 37
pinkandgrey
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@Subexistence wrote:

I like my Amex more cause it has a higher limit and I used it more. I'll never forget Disco for being the first love.


Yeah this is my thought too 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex ED: 18k
Citi DC: 7.7k
Fidelity Visa: 2k
Message 19 of 37
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?


@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I like my Amex more cause it has a higher limit and I used it more. I'll never forget Disco for being the first love.


Yeah this is my thought too 


Also I'm in college and 20 yrs old and people are always surprised when I tell them my Amex limit is my own without AU. They keep telling me to get the famed Gold card but I keep insisting that I don't pay for repute.








Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.