Amex or Discover?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover?

@Subexistence wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I like my Amex more cause it has a higher limit and I used it more. I'll never forget Disco for being the first love.

Yeah this is my thought too 

Also I'm in college and 20 yrs old and people are always surprised when I tell them my Amex limit is my own without AU. They keep telling me to get the famed Gold card but I keep insisting that I don't pay for repute.

Lol I love it 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 21 of 37
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I like my Amex more cause it has a higher limit and I used it more. I'll never forget Disco for being the first love.

Also I'm in college and 20 yrs old and people are always surprised when I tell them my Amex limit is my own without AU. They keep telling me to get the famed Gold card but I keep insisting that I don't pay for repute.

Lol I love it 

On a level that's not so personal and related to myself. I hope the Amex credit card network becomes more successful as a global network in the future. Discover is seriously getting ripped off in China since Discover cards can't even be used in Unionpay networks anymore and no one uses credit cards in China. Mastercard got roasted by rookie network RuPay in India. Mastercard and Visa are really bland and boring cards that everyone have. They are only known for how common they are. Discover has a very poor selection of usable cards..(Discover It). Discover would be cooler if they had more variety of cards. American express gives a high class sense and elusivity that makes me feel special to have one. 

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 22 of 37
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Lol I love it 

On a level that's not so personal and related to myself. I hope the Amex credit card network becomes more successful as a global network in the future. Discover is seriously getting ripped off in China since Discover cards can't even be used in Unionpay networks anymore and no one uses credit cards in China. Mastercard got roasted by rookie network RuPay in India. Mastercard and Visa are really bland and boring cards that everyone have. They are only known for how common they are. Discover has a very poor selection of usable cards..(Discover It). Discover would be cooler if they had more variety of cards. American express gives a high class sense and elusivity that makes me feel special to have one. 

Very true. I love Disco but it is highly limited in its offerings. Amex does have that “special” thing going for it. I get it. 

Message 23 of 37
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

I like both cards. I carry both in my wallet and my Chase just in case they don't take either of the two. 

But, I use my Gold Card for EVERYTHING. 

Amex for the win on this one, lol. 

amex-1.png

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I IIB Discover and settled for less than I owed with Amex.  I filed BK in 2012 and I just got a Discover card last year at the same time as the Amex Hilton.   My Discover SL was $2k.  My Amex SL was $11k.  At one year with both cards Amex gave me an unrequested CLI to $14k.  For Discover I had to request a CLI and they up my CL to $3k.   I use the Amex more than my Discover.  I just upgraded my Amex to the Ascend.  I vote Amex all the way.   

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody carry only AMEX and/or Discover?

So question. I want to only carry my AMEX and Disco, and sock drawer my QS MC. Am I crazy or are there other brave souls out there who don’t carry MC/V?

Interested also in other people’s setups and why you carry a specific card and sock drawer others!

Message 26 of 37
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anybody carry only AMEX and/or Discover?

@Anonymous wrote:
So question. I want to only carry my AMEX and Disco, and sock drawer my QS MC. Am I crazy or are there other brave souls out there who don’t carry MC/V?

Interested also in other people’s setups and why you carry a specific card and sock drawer others!

No we are not crazy!  I carry American Express Gold. It’s the equivalent of cash for me. Because it’s a charge card I’m conscious of what I’m spending.   

Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anybody carry only AMEX and/or Discover?

We are on exactly the same page then!

I think a charge card does bring a weird sense of only buying something that you know you have cash on hand for. I’m a bit of a tight wad in general but I know when the statement cuts at the end of the month, I know I’m responsible. So it feels like cash.
Message 28 of 37
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

Why Choose?

I have both.   

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 37
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Lucifer wrote:

Why Choose?

I have both.   

True. Lol I also have both and I love them both

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.