cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An app that protects your social security with two-factor authentication (fingerprint).

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

An app that protects your social security with two-factor authentication (fingerprint).

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum but I would love to get people feedback on something that can burry identity theft.

What if there was an app that can protect everyone social security number with two-factor authentication? 

You download the app and you go through several verification steps to register your social security number. Like answer verfication questions from public records and then after, you take a selfie with your id. Then you are approved and registered.

When someone or you try to open a bank account, credit card, loan, etc the screen will will redirect you to the app site and say "This social security number is protected with (THE COMPANY NAME). "We've have sent an alert to the device that is registered with the social security number". "If you authorized JP Morgan Chase please use your finger print on the app to proceed". 

An alert will show up on your notications on your phone then you can use your finger print to authorize it.  If someone used your social then you can choose "It wasn't me" and the page will change to blocked/denied or something like that.

Since the data breach happened I think this will be the best tool to stop identity theft on its track.

What if you can use your finger print when your logging in to every site not just for social security numbers. Like for Amazon, PayPal, Facebook or even Netflix. You can choose to sign in with the app which it will promp you to enter your "id" then it will send an alert to your phone to use your finger print. You can register all of your log ins for all websites with the app so you can just have one password - Your finger print.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Re: An app that protects your social security with two-factor authentication (fingerprint).

I agree that we should transcend these ID numbers, with much more robust direct verifications. 

However, it would have to be a mandatory system, and users would have to initiate these verification inputs in a controlled environment, like the DMV, or the Sherrif's Department, or the SSA. I would suggest both iris and fingerprint verifications.

If the system weren't mandatory or controlled, than imposters could be the first to register as someone else.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: An app that protects your social security with two-factor authentication (fingerprint).

there are unfortunately a lot of flaws with this idea and a tremendous amount of back end work that would need to be done that i feel you may be underestimating. creating this app would require an overhaul of the way financial applications are handled and the banks just wouldnt be interested in doing that when a simple fraud alert achieves the same outcome.

as far as the logins, there already a million solutions out there for cloud logins/2fa (lookup 1password)

i would find something else to create

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

But a simple fraud alert can be removed or the phone number for your fraud alert can be changed if someone has a whole your social security number. But thanks for your reply : )

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

From one entrepreneur to another, you should think a little harder about it. It’s really easy to justify or come up with an answer to everyone’s advice but it’s a lot different when rubber meets the road and you’re trying to negotiate with 30 large banks to spend thousands to embed your service into their applications process who will all want you to do it slightly differently
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.