Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody still have a home phone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody still have a home phone?

I was spending about $535/year with AT&T for a home line I hardly ever use.

So I bought a $50 ObiTalk from Amazon, and set up a home phone using Google Voice.  Very easy - took 10 minutes from unboxing to the first phone call.   Works like a charm.  Lots of videos about this online. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Anybody still have a home phone?

Yes, I do. And one of them is a rotary. People gave me a hard time about it until we had a massive blackout and the cell lines were busy. I was the only one able to make phone calls out so all the neighbors were coming over to use it.

Message 2 of 19
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I do. And I tend to use it to the exclusion of my cell phone when I'm in the house lol

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 19
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Yes, I do. And one of them is a rotary. People gave me a hard time about it until we had a massive blackout and the cell lines were busy. I was the only one able to make phone calls out so all the neighbors were coming over to use it.

I thought that was a bit funny.  My DW has always insisted on keeping her old rotary pgonee even though it is not connected 🤣.

We do not keep a home phone anymore. I thought it was too expense wether it be through Verizon or AT&T.

Now I have to learn how a fax can setup properly without a home land line.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated!

Message 4 of 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Credit4Growth wrote:

I thought that was a bit funny.  My DW has always insisted on keeping her old rotary pgonee even though it is not connected 🤣.

We do not keep a home phone anymore. I thought it was too expense wether it be through Verizon or AT&T.

It was here when we moved in, mounted in the wall. People always get a kick out of it. Every once in a while I'll use it, but I can't dial it as fast as I could as a kid. 😆

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit4Growth wrote:

Google Efax for your solution Smiley Wink I've used a few of the services and they all work well.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a home phone number but no phone is attached to it. 

Comcast has this "Tripple Play" package which is cable, phone and Internet for a reasonable price. If one were to buy a la carte cable and Internet with no phone, the price would be higher. 

So I have one, but do not use it. I do not even know the number. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep I have one too!

Just for nostalgia Smiley Happy  I always thought it was neat people would have the same phone number 20, 30, or more years.  I still remember my childhood home phone number.  I lucked out and got a similar number for my own landline - as in, the same pattern of repeating numbers as what was in my childhood number!

All of this sounds extremely nerdy, yeah.

Anyway I don't currently have a phone hooked up to it as it became the main "call center" for collection attempts back in my less responsible days.  I think it still gets calls now and then (when I was paying for cable TV, before I got hulu, it would pop up as caller ID on the TV even without a phone hooked up).  So I don't know if I will ever use the line again but its cheap and I've kept it around.  I will take it with me when I move (hopefully in the next 6 months) and will probably buy a phone to hook up.  I think most collection calls were stemming from a medical debt from 2011.

I've had the number since 2008 so far and I like having it for some reason.  (You can't tell can you?)

Message 8 of 19
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Yep.  Although the only time I pick it up is it to buzz people in our gated community but feel like it's a good backup plan.  You never know.  I sometimes have to think really hard to remember the # the few times I have to provide it for other things. 

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 9 of 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep I have one too!

Just for nostalgia Smiley Happy  I always thought it was neat people would have the same phone number 20, 30, or more years.  I still remember my childhood home phone number.  I lucked out and got a similar number for my own landline - as in, the same pattern of repeating numbers as what was in my childhood number!

All of this sounds extremely nerdy, yeah.

Anyway I don't currently have a phone hooked up to it as it became the main "call center" for collection attempts back in my less responsible days.  I think it still gets calls now and then (when I was paying for cable TV, before I got hulu, it would pop up as caller ID on the TV even without a phone hooked up).  So I don't know if I will ever use the line again but its cheap and I've kept it around.  I will take it with me when I move (hopefully in the next 6 months) and will probably buy a phone to hook up.  I think most collection calls were stemming from a medical debt from 2011.

I've had the number since 2008 so far and I like having it for some reason.  (You can't tell can you?)

My wife had her own line as a kid and she kept it active at her mom's house for about 30 years until she forgot to pay it one day. AT&T disconnected it so quick and refused to give her back the number when she realized and paid 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.