Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Email Scams

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple Email Scams

Just yesterday I received an email from what appeared to be from Apple. It stated for security reasons, they needed me to click the attached link and update my Information or call the number they listed in email. When I clicked the link to verify my information, it was a form asking for my full name, address, SS and debit card numbers. Obviously, that didn't sit well with me so I called the number listed in the email, and the person I was speaking with was really pressing me for my Apple password and my debit card no. When I refused, he then instructed me to purchase an iTunes card n call him back with that card number and when o laughed n said I'm not doing that, just ridiculous, he became very angry n said he was freezing my account and going to shut my iPhone down. Well long story short I went online and looked for Apples real support phone number, explained the conversation that just took place that was laughable and the email itself that was sent to me stating it was from Apple support with their logo, and was instructed to forward the email to their phishing department as its happening so often they are trying to get in control of the situation. I was told by the gentlemen from Apple support to never click on any links of any emails that state they are from Apple or other companies as well, such as ACS and even banks stating there was a security breech with your account and to verify info, which is true because i received an email supposedly from Wells Fargo about my account and to very my info etc. except I knew it was a scam because I do not nor ever had an account with that bank. I have heard that many people are falling for these scams more now by email rather than phone calls and I can understand when people hear their account is at risk, without thinking they automatically give these bottom feeders exactly what they want without much effort on their part. Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware and remind all to think twice before giving such personal information away.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apple Email Scams

Armsofangels whew ... great information! Glad you shared your story! Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Good to know. Fortunately this hasn’t happened to me, but I will definitely be on the lookout now. Thankfully the scams/scammers usually make themselves fairly obvious by asking for over-the-top personal information. Glad to hear you escaped unscathed! Thanks for sharing!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just joined this forum about an hour ago. I'm glad you felt that information was useful. It really bugs me when hard working people get taken advantage of and robbed lol, can't help it. Have a great evening! K
Message 4 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just joined this forum about an hour ago. I'm glad you felt that information was useful. It really bugs me when hard working people get taken advantage of and robbed lol, can't help it. Have a great evening! K

Well welcome to you!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well thank you much!!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also suggest for OP to make sure no keyloggers or any type of malware was downloaded to their computer when they clicked on that link in their email.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.