Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are vertical cards the new thing?

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Received my new BofA card yesterday, along with an insert about its sleek new look and how great it looks in your wallet. Um...it's VERTICAL.

I don't know about anyone else, but my wallet's CC slots are all horizontal. Sticking this new card in my wallet will look stupid--it won't let me see anything identifying it. *shrug*

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Re: Are vertical cards the new thing?

Probably SmorgasBoard territory... but which one is it? None of the BoA ones on the website are showing vertical, and they just did a redesign only a year ago or less.

Message 2 of 15
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@TSlop wrote:

Probably SmorgasBoard territory... but which one is it? None of the BoA ones on the website are showing vertical, and they just did a redesign only a year ago or less.

They'll have to redesign it again, once all their cards go vertical, as I'm assuming they will. I believe it has something to do with the whole 'touchless' paying thing now possible at stores, i.e., these new cards have the latest technology and they must work better when they're vertical. BTW, it's actually my BofA debit card (Visa). I didn't even think about that when I posted! It was due to expire at the end of October.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 15
parzivalmx
Valued Member

I recently got a CC from my mexican bank and ir vertical. It's a new marriot card.

US Cards

Mexico Cards
Message 4 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SoCalGardener wrote:

A variety of institutions have been rolling these out for sometime -- both debit and CCs.  I'm not sure if that's going to be universal trend for all banks or CUs, but it appears a decent portion (at least in my arsenal) have been issued as vertical in the past few years (15 at last count - debit and CCs).

Message 5 of 15
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

A variety of institutions have been rolling these out for sometime -- both debit and CCs.  I'm not sure if that's going to be universal trend for all banks or CUs, but it appears a decent portion (at least in my arsenal) have been issued as vertical in the past few years (15 at last count - debit and CCs).

Interesting, thanks. This is my first, and actually took me by surprise! Well, I wonder if wallet designers are going to re-think CC slot orientations? I've never seen a wallet specifically designed for vertical cards....but then, a long time ago, I'd never seen a smartphone either! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 15
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I hope they go away eventually, because  I am not a fan of them myself. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 15
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Received my new BofA card yesterday, along with an insert about its sleek new look and how great it looks in your wallet. Um...it's VERTICAL.

I don't know about anyone else, but my wallet's CC slots are all horizontal. Sticking this new card in my wallet will look stupid--it won't let me see anything identifying it. *shrug*

Vertical cards, or portrait style as they are officially called, have been around for a while. Blame Chase. The Slate card at one time was vertical way before anybody else in the US was doing it. They later returned it to the normal, horizontal style and returned to embossing-go figure. 

Essentially, someone in marketing somewhere decided that it would be really neat and cool and modern to change the format of credit cards. They state that, due to the influx of contactless payments and dipped chip cards, it makes more sense for them to be portrait style.....because....American's are too dumb to not know how to use our cards? 

I cannot stand vertical/portrait style cards. I have a few unfortunately, mostly debit cards. And I am *that* guy that complains regularly to bank employees in person, on Twitter and on Facebook about how I do not like them and that at the very least, they should offer normal, horizontal cards to those of us who prefer them. 

Yeah, I know, some of you like it and some of you don't care. Some of us don't like them and do care. Make your voice heard and let the banks/credit unions know that you want another option. Some banks/credit unions do listen and make changes.

US Bank recently redesigned all of their core business cards to be vertical/portrait and I hate them. 

Message 8 of 15
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@BearsCubsOtters wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

Vertical cards, or portrait style as they are officially called, have been around for a while. Blame Chase. The Slate card at one time was vertical way before anybody else in the US was doing it. They later returned it to the normal, horizontal style and returned to embossing-go figure. 

Essentially, someone in marketing somewhere decided that it would be really neat and cool and modern to change the format of credit cards. They state that, due to the influx of contactless payments and dipped chip cards, it makes more sense for them to be portrait style.....because....American's are too dumb to not know how to use our cards? 

I cannot stand vertical/portrait style cards. I have a few unfortunately, mostly debit cards. And I am *that* guy that complains regularly to bank employees in person, on Twitter and on Facebook about how I do not like them and that at the very least, they should offer normal, horizontal cards to those of us who prefer them. 

Yeah, I know, some of you like it and some of you don't care. Some of us don't like them and do care. Make your voice heard and let the banks/credit unions know that you want another option. Some banks/credit unions do listen and make changes.

US Bank recently redesigned all of their core business cards to be vertical/portrait and I hate them. 

Too bad this got moved to SmorgasBoard--I'd like to kudo you for this! I totally agree. I don't like vertical cards at all. As of today I only have one, but....

And I'm right there with you when it comes to speaking up about my feelings. I regularly use Twitter for issues like this, and if I should have occasion to physically go to a BofA any time soon, I'll speak up in person, too. (That's doubtful--my branch closed permanently last month. I had to go get my stuff out of my safe deposit box. Afterward, I decided to just keep that stuff at home!)

I disliked it when banks stopped embossing their cards with raised, touchable lettering. I disliked it even more when they moved all the information to the back! Really? Why?! And now vertical? Come on....

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to us bank today and saw us cash + is turning vertical.  cash_plus_visa-vertical.png

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.